Where to buy chicken/ turkey thighs and chicken livers in Indiana?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Yes I did, I went there this afternoon and picked up 2 lb. of whole coarse ground turkey, 2 lb. of finely ground rabbit, chicken livers, 2lb. Of green beef tripe and 2 lb. of coarse ground duck. I met the owners (very nice people) and their dogs (beautiful) and I took the time to ask a few questions about feeding my cats with their meats in conbination with Alnutrin but, they couldn't really give much info about it since they think that pets should be fed with just the meat, no need for supplements....now, I am a bit confused 'cause I thought, actually I believe that I still do need to add supplements.

I try to order the Alnutrin for meat, organs and bone today but, for some reason, it looks like the order didn't go trough, I did not receive a confirmation e-mail and I've already e-mailed the owner...hopefully I'll get that soon.  In the mean time I am planning on using my own supplements: Vit. E dry, B 50, glandular, eggs, ....BUT, should I also add liver and hearts or what's on the 2 lb. of whole turkey is enough?!

p.s.: I haven't start feeding my cats with the new stuff yet...still defrosting...

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure the folks from Alnutrin will get back to you tomorrow...I have found her to be very responsive.  I got my order from them very quickly.  I have talked to the folks at MPC about maybe carrying the Alnutrin...they have promised to look into it.  They are not that familiar with cat nutrition yet, but are getting more and more people who are raw feeding cats, so are trying to learn more about it.  I sent them a couple of links to feline-nutrition.org, and catinfo.org.  

When you get the ground whole animal products, they include the organs from the animal, so you shouldn't have to worry about adding more organ.  I only give my guys the chicken hearts because they are a great source of taurine, they will almost always eat them, and they give them something to chew on in addition to the ground stuff, which is supposed to help with dental health.  They are classified as muscle meat by the way. I started out cutting the hearts into smaller pieces, but after a couple of weeks now, I just give them a whole heart.  I feel more comfortable using the Alnutrin supplement so I know I am covered on the supplements. When you feed the ground meats, you do lose some of the nutrients because of the grinding, and freezing, so the supplement replaces what might be lost.  I don't add probiotic, because I am pretty confident the green tripe is providing that in a natural form.  

My guys all love the ground rabbit....no need to add tripe to that one.  They have eaten every bit of it any time I feed it to them.   

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We'll see how it goes, I will keep you posted. Thanks again for your support.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blakat......just checking in to see how it is going?  

I have found another good source in the Indy area.....rawpaws.org.  It is a coop, and has good prices.  Their rabbit is cheaper....but several of their ground mixes don't include organ, so you have to add it.  They do have some items that MPC doesn't offer.....and MPC has some things they don't offer.  They also deliver around a several state area on a monthly basis.

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there....sorry I haven't keep you updated, little busy lately.
Since we spoke last I made 3 batches of raw meet with the Alnutrin supplement, tomorrow I am going to make another one. I think it's a bit easy with Alnutrin but I don't mind using my own supplements neither. I didn't go back to MPC again yet (as I still have some stuff left...) but soon I will need more rabbitfor my kitties. I did try the tripe but , for some reason, they don't like it as they probably should...go figure!
Don't remember if told you about my cats having some bloody - soft stools sometimes awhile ago....but it looks like I found the reason why: the culprit seems to be the psyllium husk that I was adding on the recepie and it was causing stomach problems or something.... Since I stop adding that they are now doing just fine!
I'll be checking out the new place/web site you gave me. Thank you very much for the suggestion :wavey:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello there....sorry I haven't keep you updated, little busy lately.
Since we spoke last I made 3 batches of raw meet with the Alnutrin supplement, tomorrow I am going to make another one. I think it's a bit easy with Alnutrin but I don't mind using my own supplements neither. I didn't go back to MPC again yet (as I still have some stuff left...) but soon I will need more rabbitfor my kitties. I did try the tripe but , for some reason, they don't like it as they probably should...go figure!
Don't remember if told you about my cats having some bloody - soft stools sometimes awhile ago....but it looks like I found the reason why: the culprit seems to be the psyllium husk that I was adding on the recepie and it was causing stomach problems or something.... Since I stop adding that they are now doing just fine!
I'll be checking out the new place/web site you gave me. Thank you very much for the suggestion
My guys were nuts for tripe for a while, then backed off a bit.  I still have 4# in the freezer, but am giving them a bit of a break, then I'll bring it out again.  I have a great advantage, in that my dachshunds will eat anything, so I never have to worry about getting something the cats won't eat...lol.  I am still using Alnutrin....I like it because it is convenient, and I don't have to run around looking for the ingredients to combine.