Where should kittens sleep at night?

Poppy24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I recently got a new 8 week old (although vet thinks she is younger) kitten a week ago. Every night since I got her I have let her sleep in my room with me. (even though I knew from the beginning I definitely wouldn't get through the whole night without her waking me up). I am struggling with being woken up by her playing with my hands and arms (one of my arms is covered in little scratches) or she is chewing my hair. I am happy to let her continue sleeping with me if I could find a way to stop her from playing with me while I am asleep. However, I am also curious is she too young for me to put her in her own room at night. Would I have to slowly transition her into sleeping separately or could I just pick a day to start putting her in a separate room? How would I go about this? If I leave her in a room by herself she starts meowing instantly, it seems she hates to be alone. I don't really know what to do as I would like to get a good nights sleep but I want to do what is best for her!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We always start out cats out in a "safe room" when they first come home. It can be a bathroom, spare bedroom, office, whatever, as long as the door can be closed. They stay in that room exclusively for a few days, until they're completely comfortable there and getting interested in what's behind the door, then they are gradually given access to more and more rooms of the house. Our kittens have always spent their first few nights alone. Our newest kitten actually spent the first month alone every night, my boyfriend is allergic and needed some time to acclimate to him before he was allowed in the bedroom. They cry, it is sad, but honestly, it's kind a "suck it up and deal with it" thing. I've only had them cry the first night or two and then they're used to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Poppy24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We always start out cats out in a "safe room" when they first come home. It can be a bathroom, spare bedroom, office, whatever, as long as the door can be closed. They stay in that room exclusively for a few days, until they're completely comfortable there and getting interested in what's behind the door, then they are gradually given access to more and more rooms of the house. Our kittens have always spent their first few nights alone. Our newest kitten actually spent the first month alone every night, my boyfriend is allergic and needed some time to acclimate to him before he was allowed in the bedroom. They cry, it is sad, but honestly, it's kind a "suck it up and deal with it" thing. I've only had them cry the first night or two and then they're used to it.
Thank you for your response!
Would it be detrimental to my kitten if I suddenly started putting her in a separate room because obviously after a week she has got used to sleeping with me?

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response!
Would it be detrimental to my kitten if I suddenly started putting her in a separate room because obviously after a week she has got used to sleeping with me?
I think you'd be okay. I just think of all the transitions kittens go through in their first few weeks: foster home to shelter, shelter to adopter's home and separation from littermates, those are all way more disruptive situations. She may not be happy about it haha, but I think she'd be okay!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Since you have been letting this kitten sleep with you at night and the vet thinks she is younger than 8 weeks, I would be hesitant to just put in a room by herself at this juncture. Does she had a little bed that you have made or gotten for her? Or, perhaps even a carrier? Either way, you could try those items and place them on your bed so she can see you, but not 'touch' you unless you want her to.

EDIT: Maybe even buy a little heartbeat toy for her to cuddle with? One example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V7UHG8/?tag=thecatsite

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tend to let my cats sleep with me. That young, they got a "cave" with a large stuffed animal to cuddle with when I wasn't home. The cave for one was a box with an entry hole cut into it and a fabric tent for the other. I've found playing at night is more of a training thing. You have a few sleepless nights but if you establish young that when the human is laying down we all sleep or play elsewhere its useful. Have a few toys scattered around and a toss toy near the bed stand. When kittens get rambunctious they get pats and quieted with petting. If they can't be quieted they get put on the floor and a toy tossed to distract them. Older kittens just get ignored when they get hyper at night. A bed time routine really helps with a busy play session, dinner, litter box and bed.

Worked for my two who now demand bed at bed time and know that we don't play in bed.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you play dead in bed, the kitten should stop. Neko-chan used to do that and I just lay still and ignored her when I was in bed. It took a week or two but she stopped. Now I wake up every morning with her by me, purring but she doesn't pounce any more.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I let me kittens sleep with me. . .now that they are older they prefer not to :(
Sounds like you need a second kitten!!! :) Kittens that age are notrious for needing lots of play and often at 4am. Another kitten would give her someone to wrestle with, but if not then you just have to be patient until she learns that night time is for sleeping. Try giving her a very vigorous playtime before bed and then a little meal. That helps them sleep better.
If she really must play in the night then redirect her to a toy, don't let her nibble you, it won't be cute when she's bigger. Maybe a specific toy that you only put out at night.
you could also try a snuggle bed next to your bed.

Pyewacket1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I recently got a new 8 week old (although vet thinks she is younger) kitten a week ago. Every night since I got her I have let her sleep in my room with me. (even though I knew from the beginning I definitely wouldn't get through the whole night without her waking me up). I am struggling with being woken up by her playing with my hands and arms (one of my arms is covered in little scratches) or she is chewing my hair. I am happy to let her continue sleeping with me if I could find a way to stop her from playing with me while I am asleep. However, I am also curious is she too young for me to put her in her own room at night. Would I have to slowly transition her into sleeping separately or could I just pick a day to start putting her in a separate room? How would I go about this? If I leave her in a room by herself she starts meowing instantly, it seems she hates to be alone. I don't really know what to do as I would like to get a good nights sleep but I want to do what is best for her!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
Hi, I have a new kitten too (vet also said she looked younger than we thought she was!). I have a small animal pen in my bedroom that fits her litter tray and bed and when i pop her in it when i go to bed i dont hear a peep out of her till i get up in the morning. When she is a bit bigger i will leave her out and know that’s when the disturbed nights will start 😂

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued Peache 5 weeks old and kept her in my bathroom til she was old enough to have blood work done(2 other cats). She had toys in there . Here fav was a tiny wand toy with a handle for the door and pingpong balls.

Last edited: