Where I've been and what we've been doing... (you know me, this is long ;) Oh - and LOTS of picture

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Oh - we did make a decision I forgot to share. We're going to bring Little Dottie inside! :clap: :clap: :clap: No one really gets along with Baloo (and now Smokey, who has learned well from his master ;) ), but Froggie and Khol are hissy little cats, and the boys (more or less) leave them alone. Treebie always hung on the outskirts, but I think a new territory and the process of introducing them to it levels the playing field a bit, so to speak.

But Dottie... .she just disappears rather than deal with it. :rub:

So this will be the first kitty we've brought inside since 2003 that didn't "need" us.

I just keep seeing her lying in front of the fireplace, all curled up.... :heart2:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope she adjusts well to being inside where it's nice and warm especially if we have another horrible winter.  Are there litter box issues with former ferals?  I had heard that before but it was on one of those animal cop shows so it could well have been justification for euthanasia.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I hope she adjusts well to being inside where it's nice and warm especially if we have another horrible winter.  Are there litter box issues with former ferals?  I had heard that before but it was on one of those animal cop shows so it could well have been justification for euthanasia.
Nearly all of mine are former ferals and if anything they are more fastidious about using the litter box then the 3 dumped pet cats we have. I think they still have the idea that they have to hide every trace of their poop so that no other cats or predators will realise they're there. Maybe the raccoon scared them and they scattered the litter around? Clever little things, working out how to undo a tent zipper!

I hope that Peanut Butter let's herself be caught soon. Do you think she'll be OK without you? I had to leave one of my feral girls behind when we moved. She started having these huge screaming matches with two of the older girls, then moved next door to the nice neighbors who feed cats. I still see her every time I go back to check on the colony in the old neighborhood, she seems happy where she is.

And lucky little Dot, getting a fire to curl up next to!

Hope you can find out what is making Gary sick.

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So this will be the first kitty we've brought inside since 2003 that didn't "need" us.

I just keep seeing her lying in front of the fireplace, all curled up.... :heart2:
;) She "needs" and "wants" you both so much. :heart2: :bigwink: Lil Dot is about to embark on a new life of leisure and love. :9: :bigthumb:

More vibes for EVERYTHING. :vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :heart2: :sun:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As Norachan says, the feral kitties are very fastidious about using the box. The only reason the litter is kicked around is because some of the boxes in the cages are a little small. They really like to dig and cover!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no issue with raccoons (or skunks or possums or whatever wildlife), but I do fear for the cats when they are in cages.
Just now getting back from vacation and catching up with this thread.

You are aware that it's common for raccoons to carry rabies? I did not let our kitty out even in the backyard when we spotted a raccoon wandering around. But I did not vaccinate for it, either.

So glad you got Smokey. Best wishes on getting Peanut Butter and the kittens.

Oh, and more well wishes for Gary, too.

Coincidentally I was out hiking while on vacation and got a bullseye rash. I'm from the west coast, where there's far less incidents of lyme, so I didn't know that much. Researched a little and found that my chances are very low (hiking in Utah, rash seems to have improved very quick, did not find any tick buried in my skin) But I read everyone's reactions here and figured a short trip to the doctor and a $15 co-pay would be best.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coincidentally I was out hiking while on vacation and got a bullseye rash. I'm from the west coast, where there's far less incidents of lyme, so I didn't know that much. Researched a little and found that my chances are very low (hiking in Utah, rash seems to have improved very quick, did not find any tick buried in my skin) But I read everyone's reactions here and figured a short trip to the doctor and a $15 co-pay would be best.

Rainty - wise move.  I've been through it twice (yes, you can get it more than once if you're bitten again).  I have a cast-iron stomach and had only upchucked twice in my life before getting Lymes.  Never had morning sickness; nausea was something I couldn't conceive of.  Until ...

So get the antibiotics and kill the bacteria now.  If you use probiotics, it will help your guts.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, raccoons are a vector for rabies. But these are vaccinated feral cats, living in a rural forested area. :dk:

Knock wood, haven't encountered a rabid coon or skunk in the 12 years we've worked with ferals.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think rabies is really that common but it is such a devastating disease that public health dictates to do all that is possible to control the spread.  I grew up on a farm and my father lived most of his life on a farm and he only saw one animal that he thought might be rabid.  It was a raccoon.  It wasn't drooling or vicious but he said he wasn't acting anything close to normal.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie - just now catching up - mostly scanning all the posts in this thread to try and get the news - I'll find some time to go back and re-read later.

I thought I was missing seeing your posts - somehow I've missed your threads!  I thought I was "following" you, so I'll have to recheck my settings. :)

Great and wonderful news about the house - I got chills just reading about this wonderful new home for you and Gary - and, well - your furry family, too.  

I believe that when one door has been slammed shut  another one will open that's even better.    WOW! Just LOOK at what you now have now!  

I hope Gary is doing better!  I'm sure all these changes haven't been without stress for him.

As for the cats - well, I pray success for them to settle into their new digs, too!  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK... time to update. We FINALLY started letting some of the kitties out of the tent. Today was the first day.

I've been letting all of them out of their cages for ... a while now. Well - other than Bean, I can't handle him, so can't count on getting him back in his crate. Treebie doesn't really leave his cage. He comes out just for pets, but activity of the others can easily send him skittering back into his cage.

Whatever "ideal" is, the reality is that Baloo and Smokey were the ones we decided to let out first. I couldn't take letting them all out at once, we're doing it in stages.

And it was warm and sunny today. Light rain expected tomorrow - but still warm. Then sort of warm and sort of sunny for another day .. and then it gets cold. I figured this is most likely the last chance we have of it being in the 40s for them to get out and enjoy. But we've kept it pretty cold in the tent, and they have full coats and a nice layer of fat. They're ready. Though we will be leaving the tent up. We'll have to shore it up, as it isn't built to handle the weight of much snow. And I haven't figure out how we'll keep the heat in there during any extended really cold snap. The hidey boxes in the cages are not insulated, though each has a heating pad (and blankets) now. Maybe without any wind, that's enough. :dk: We do have a heater in there, but there's not really a roof. There's a net on top of the tent, and then the rain fly goes over that - so there's nothing to hold heat inside. As I said - it's a summer tent. Canvas tents were just too expensive. :sigh: But it's home base now, so we'll just have to figure out how to make it work, likely until spring.

SO....

We had the normal morning routine. Then, pretending to have no trepidation, I unzipped and fully opened the tent door. Baloo and Smokey were the only two who were out of their cages. Baloo hesitated just a few moments - more of a stunned kind of "really? Really? I can go check it out now?" :lol3: Smokey took a few - but quickly followed suit.

Baloo and Smoke checked out the immediate area. They found familiar items and scents - the feeding stations that are out and about, and the feral villa. Then Smokey took off running, leaping and scrambling up trees, running from one to the next. Smokey went one way, Baloo another. They melted into the surroundings, and I could not see them. Khol is the only kitty that might not completely blend in to these colors.

Baloo and Smokey were no longer in sight. :( :sigh:

I hung out on the back stoop about half an hour, drinking coffee. I decided to go collect the empty trash cans from the bottom of the drive. I did that and went out back, searching the woods for movement - when out of the corner of my eye, I saw Baloo poke his head out of the tent. My heart absolutely leaped for joy! He jogged over to me, tail up, and who came running down from the woods? Baloo went to great him.

I decided it was enough exploring for the day. As they'd gone into their cages to eat, I just locked them up. ...and then I decided it isn't about my comfort, it's about them calling the area home. So I opened it up again.

Smokey always did prefer drinking from puddles. :lol3:

Baloo OWNS this. :lol3: Smokey is loving it too, but - as is his nature - is skittish at new sounds or movement. They were exploring over towards the friendly neighbors' place when a FedEx truck drove up. Baloo jumped up a stump to watch, and Smokey high-tailed it back to the tent. !!! WHICH WAS GREAT! :woohoo:

AND?

Baloo followed the walk ... down to the RV! He ducked under it, sniffed it all over, rubbed his cheeks all over, came out the front - and stood there looking at me with his tail vibrating for about 5 minutes. It went on forever. He is sooooooooooooooooooo happy! :clap:

I kept going outside, of course. Middle of the afternoon - they were asleep in their cages. Cage doors open, tent door open. I was SO happy!

I am closing them up at night. That raccoon got in there and made SUCH a mess. So hopefully we'll keep the feeding-in-the-tent routine for now, and I'll be able to zip everyone in at night. :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...and because things had gone so well with the boys (KNOCK WOOD), I decided to let Khol out. She was not as into it as I thought she would be! She was tentative about leaving the tent. And - well - look at her body language compared to Baloo's. She was nervous. :rub: She looked around, something spooked her, and she darted back into the tent. But she didn't run to her cage, she bolted behind the cages, where it's tight and narrow. :sigh: I scooped her up and put her in her cage.

I'm glad the tent = safety. But this is going to be a process. Funny - I seem to be more worried now about how to get the others to explore the territory. I guess I'm most worried that when they don't stay close... do they then run home if they get scared or do they just hunker down in some small tight spot?

:sigh:

Loving ferals is an constant exercise in letting go of control.... ;)

This is as far as Khol got before she darted back inside. I still don't know what she saw that spooked her. :lol3:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Gorgeous photos and gorgeous cats!

They look so happy. Those first few days of letting then out are nerve racking, aren't they?

I'm glad to see they're all settling in so well.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad things are going well. I love hearing the updates and seeing pictures.

I don't know how you do it!  This would be all about my own level of comfort, not the kitties. I like to keep my kitties close by, so I wouldn't be able to release them back outside!  LOL

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, Laurie that's SUCH great news!  What wonderful pictures of those handsome boys!  I'm sure Khol will eventually pick up on the boys energy, & learn that it's o.k & safe to venture out a bit.

They look like they were thinking, 
"We're gonna go scratch up some trees!!!"  

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a kitty wonderland! It looks magical and I'm sure everyone is going to give their kitty approval sooner or later.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Loving ferals is an constant exercise in letting go of control.... ;)
:yeah: Big strong statement and such words of wisdom to us feral cat lovers. :nod: AND YES - TONS of mental work and strain to keep "letting go". :nervous:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :woohoo: SO glad that so far, SO GOOD. :cross: The pictures are awesome and Baloo and Smokey look so happy and so calm. I guess they will hopefully show the other's the ropes and that it is alright. They will certainly mark the territory and put their scents all over the property so the others will know where home is. :rofl: :lol3: :bigthumb: This will surely help with all of the cats to find their way back IF (and BIG IF) they decide to venture out. I honestly do not think they will go far from the tent the first few days. As they get braver, more settled in, they may venture off a bit BUT I am thinking, hun, that you do not have to worry about them trying to search out the old park. Not at all. THEY ALL KNOW, you are there, Gary is there, THIS IS WHERE we live now. PLUS, the RV IS THERE TOO!!!!!!!!! Still, I know there is that thought lingering around in your mind - the what if. Try to push it away with purely positive thinking that they will not stray anymore or for any longer than they did on occasion at the RV park. But - my feeling, since the move/relocation AND all of the extended tent confinement (bonding time) - this group of feral kitties are extremely attached to you and bonded now and that in itself IS HUGE, majorly HUGE for their instinct to stick close to you and the house.

Kohl, as you know, has my heart :heart3: and I always love to hear about her antics and hopefully soon she will be flying around dancing for joy over her new surroundings and home territory.

You certainly did everything ( AND MORE ) for making sure the relocation goes extremely smoothly and that the cats now know THIS IS HOME!!!!!!!!! Keep the pictures coming when you can and I am continually sending those gigantic VIBES VIBES VIBES for the other's to quickly acclimate once released. :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited: