Where Do You Source Your Meat?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious to know where people buy their meat and if they look for anything particular (e.g., certified organic).

I buy my meat from a local butcher and a local turkey farm. I always call ahead to order a fresh amount of meat and organs, but I'm starting to wonder if that really makes any difference from just buying frozen meat and organs since everything arrives frozen to the shop anyway? It's a bit of a pain in the butt to call ahead and ask for special orders so if anyone has any thoughts on this I'm all ears! (or should I say, eyes).

So, where do you get your meat?

Edit: Sorry mods!! I accidentally posted this in the main nutrition form. Please move to the raw sub-forum. :doh:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My dogs have all been on home prepared meals for my entire life and beyond as it started with my mother when I was a child. I do not feed raw.

I buy meat and poultry at the local supermarkets or butcher shops. Some friends who feed raw search out organic only butchers. I have never had an issue with quality or health and have never had a dog with cancer (which may be only an anecdotal observation) until this last one who has melanoma.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I buy everything from a local butcher--chicken thighs, turkey, and pork. It's not necessarily organic, but it's all locally sourced and the staff are extremely knowledgeable. And many of them seem familiar with raw feeding dogs and cats. The only turkey they carry in the case is ground, but I recently discovered in chatting with the guy behind the counter that they get the turkey breasts frozen and grind it themselves every day. They now sell me the frozen turkey and knock a dollar per pound off the price since I grind it myself. I love buying locally sourced food whenever possible, and the meat I buy from this place is less expensive than the grocery store or even Costco.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I buy everything from a local butcher--chicken thighs, turkey, and pork. It's not necessarily organic, but it's all locally sourced and the staff are extremely knowledgeable. And many of them seem familiar with raw feeding dogs and cats. The only turkey they carry in the case is ground, but I recently discovered in chatting with the guy behind the counter that they get the turkey breasts frozen and grind it themselves every day. They now sell me the frozen turkey and knock a dollar per pound off the price since I grind it myself. I love buying locally sourced food whenever possible, and the meat I buy from this place is less expensive than the grocery store or even Costco.
Do you buy your hearts and liver frozen too?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you buy your hearts and liver frozen too?
The liver, yes. I don’t buy hearts because I use either Dr. Pierson’s recipe or EZ Complete. I’ve bought frozen duck there, too, but it’s so fatty and the cats didn’t love it so I don’t buy it any more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The liver, yes. I don’t buy hearts because I use either Dr. Pierson’s recipe or EZ Complete. I’ve bought frozen duck there, too, but it’s so fatty and the cats didn’t love it so I don’t buy it any more.
I feel like there's probably no point in me requesting fresh meat from the butcher since everything probably arrives frozen anyway, and fresh meat just means 'recently defrosted.'

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I buy the Greenwise turkey thighs at the local grocery store. I think they are supposed to be organic but it's the only turkey thighs that they carry. In other words, I don't buy them because they are "organic". I buy them because that's all they carry.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like there's probably no point in me requesting fresh meat from the butcher since everything probably arrives frozen anyway, and fresh meat just means 'recently defrosted.'
Yup. Even when I buy from a local farmer (which I don't do anymore) everything is frozen. They send their animals to a processor. The processor does the slaughter, packaging and storage (freezing) until the farmer picks its up and sells it to me.

I'm able to get everything locally. Pork, chicken, chicken hearts, chicken liver from the grocery store. Pork heart and liver and turkey hearts and liver are from a local shop that caters to pet raw feeders. Turkey is from a local meat shop. That is the only local place I can find ground turkey with no additives like rosemary and vinegar. Zara hates grocery store turkey but LOVES the turkey I get from this place.