Where do you put your cat's litter box?

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Autumn's litter box is here in the office. It's right behind my computer desk and at night I put the night light on for her.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the bathroom right next to human's.

I live in an extremely tiny studio, that's the only place I could put a litter box...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One in the cat room.... one by the bathroom door in my bedroom and one in the living room by the cat tower..

used to have one in each bathroom ...

and until recently they had four in the cat room two in the living room and one in each bathroom... the cut down in numbers make s life easier for all

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

and until recently they had four in the cat room two in the living room and one in each bathroom... the cut down in numbers make s life easier for all
Did you find that the other boxes just weren't getting much, if any, use? I've noticed this in my bedroom and hallway boxes. One gets used ~once a month and other other may be used twice a week.
I've considered moving both out just to sit by another box in a different room. It would mean one less room for me to walk to when scooping.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 2 VERY large Rubbermaid tote bins (one half covered and the other not) upstairs in the hallway for our babies. In our bedroom we have a litterbox for foster, Surprise. In the boys' foster room we have 2 extra large litterboxes and then in the other foster room where we have pregnant Macy, we have a large litterbox for her, and then a small litterbox for kitten training purposes.

cat_crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One in the living room on the main floor, two in two seperate bedrooms on the second floor, and one in the basement under the stairs.
Spike can only get to the one in the living room and he's only in there when we are and knows he'll get in trouble if he tries eating anything from it. His access is blocked to the second floor. Only time he is in the basement is at night and he's shut in the bedroom then.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Ours is in the upstairs hallway, right outside our very small bathroom. We had a second one in the laundry room for a while, but Jamie never used it, so it was put away.

chibibinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a small closet in our little, 4ft long hallway right outside our bathroom. We leave the door slightly open and leave the liter box in there on the floor.
It's the only private place in our 1 bedroom apartment. He seems to like his privacy in there.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

One is in the master bathroom closet (we removed the closet door) and the other one is in an empty spare bedroom. We may move the spare bedroom one to the basement later if Jinkers ever figures out it is OK to use the one in the bathroom...
I forgot to add that I have baby "finger pinch guards" on the doors that lead to litter boxes so that the cats don't accidentally shut themselves in or out of one of those places. Its not such a HUGE deal now that we have 2 boxes, but when we had 1 we had some accidents when they would knock the door shut while playing when we weren't home. These are U shaped plastic pieces that go around the edge of the door and prevent them from being closed on fingers (or tails!). When we are home and need to close the door, we just remove the guard and hang it over the doorknob.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend two litter "stations".

Each station can hold 2-3 litter boxes, with an alternate location to avoid issues in multi-cat homes.

I recommend using a closet. The doors comes off the hinges very easily, and the doors themselves are paper thin material that is very easy to cut.

Grab a jigsaw and you can install a cheap cat door in one (about $15 online) and you have a clean look with any odor contained in the closet rather than your whole house.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours is in the laundry room, right off the kitchen. As long as we keep up on the scooping, there is no odor at all.
She does just fine with one box, we have never had a problem with her going out of her box.

(ignore the jeans in the laundry tub, we're doing laundry atm)

lencoo12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

A back room behind a baby gate and living room behind a couch.
In the bathroom,utility room,living room and bedroom.I have dogs,too,so I switched to plastic totes and cut the entrance out in the lid.It has worked out for us extremely well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One downstairs, in the master bathtub, and two upstairs, one in the bathroom, and one in the "cat's room", inside the closet, but we keep the doors open somewhat. We probably should have more boxes (according to the "rules"), but so far 3 has worked out just fine. Half the time, at least one will be empty when it's time to scoop them.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two cats. Two litter boxes, side by side in the basement under the slop sink. Boxes get scooped daily. Seems to satisfy both cats and humans.

I use a plastic scraper - used for smoothing sheet rock joint compound seams - to loosen urine clumps from bottom of pan, then lift with a slotted scoop designed for the purpose.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have four litterboxes and am looking for a fifth. Three boxes are in the bathroom. The fourth one is a carpeted bench with the litter box inside (Foster and Smith) and that one is in the kitchen next to the French door....the cats love to lie there to watch the birds and bugs outside. Our fifth one will either go next to the hutch in the kitchen (and when company comes, we'll put it in the bedroom) or in the bedroom.

We have six cats and four litterboxes, so I am constantly scooping.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two closets, that hold two litterboxes each, with a cat door for entrance which keeps any odors contained and the boxes out of sight (door propped open w/ tape at first until kitties got used to the idea of the entrance for a few weeks, now its closed after I taught them how to use it using treats).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Did you find that the other boxes just weren't getting much, if any, use? I've noticed this in my bedroom and hallway boxes. One gets used ~once a month and other other may be used twice a week.
I've considered moving both out just to sit by another box in a different room. It would mean one less room for me to walk to when scooping.
yes.. at the moment one box in cat room and one in bathroom get used daily other one in living room get used a few times a week