Where do you get your raw meat for your cat ?

romsoccer126

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where do you get your raw meat for your cat such as duck, turkey, venison, rabbit, and pheasant? Any help would be appreciated.  Dont know of any grocery stores that sell this stuff thats actually organic in my area.. I live in Northeast Ohio in akron

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Where do you get your raw meat for your cat such as duck, turkey, venison, rabbit, and pheasant? Any help would be appreciated.  Dont know of any grocery stores that sell this stuff thats actually organic in my area.. I live in Northeast Ohio in akron
I don't think organic is absolutely necessary. Regular supermarket meats are just fine as long as they haven't been treated with any sugar / salt / flavorings / broth / etc.

Butcher shops usually have the more "exotic" meats like venison and pheasant as well as other more common meats. They usually have liver and organs and such, too. Sometimes you need to special order certain items that the shop might not normally have.

Some people buy their raw meats online from places like Hare-Today.com and MyPetCarnivore.com Local suppliers for raw meat for pet food and distributors and co-ops may also be an option. Here's a list: http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html On that list, there is a co-op listed right in your area: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/akronrawfed/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

romsoccer126

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you LTS3
I think I will looking online and start calling local butcher shops. 

Does anyone have a recommendation on which meat I should use out of the ones I listed?  Or should I be feeding a variety of foods.  Also, is feeding them organs necessary?  I have never done the raw meat thing.  Both my cats suffer from food allergies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

TDoes anyone have a recommendation on which meat I should use out of the ones I listed?  Or should I be feeding a variety of foods.  Also, is feeding them organs necessary?  I have never done the raw meat thing.  Both my cats suffer from food allergies.
I think a variety is good unless your cat has an allergy to a particular protein. I feed chicken, turkey, duck, quail, bison, rabbit.

Organs may or may not be necessary depending on the type of raw you feed. I feed mostly NV raw with some "semi homemade raw" (ground raw with pre mix) and I don't give any organs on the side. Frankenprey / prey model diets include organs as 5% of the daily diet. I think recipes like the one at Catinfo.org include organs. Of course you can always give organs as a treat

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think www.hare-today.com is fabulous. They have a huge variety of meats. I buy the chicken , turkey, rabbit, quail, pork, duck etc. I stay away from beef and fish because they tend to be hyperallergenic. The quality is excellent. I buy the grinds and the chunked meats. I also buy Alnutrin from HT and that makes my life simple.

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also use hare-today. On my 5th order. Tracy is wonderful and extremely pleasant and helpful.
There's a little video I made in high speed of me getting my order yesterday haha
I only received a small order. 10lbs ground chick/bone/organs. 4lbs hearts. 4lbs liver. Salmon oil, and some Alnutrin