Where do you get a Companion Animal form for a doctor to fill out?

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've searched all over this site and may have missed it. I have googled it.  But I could not find anything.  I have two cats and I am in need of a form  Thank you in advance.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure what you mean by a companion animal form.  Do you mean a form from a doctor indicating you have physical/emotional disability such that you need to be able to have a cat in an otherwise no-pet apartment or take a cat with you to public places, like a bus?  In which case, I'd ask your doctor, therapist or the state of Michigan.  Requirements vary from state to state.  There may be no form, per se; rather, a letter on your doctor's letterhead may be required.  Also check with the fair housing department in Michigan.  You may also be required to be on SSI or have documentation that you are in fact disabled.

If on the other hand you want to certify that your cats are therapy cats, that is, you take them, for example, to nursing homes to help the residents, then I'd contact a nursing home to see what their requirements are.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this to enable you to keep your cat in a tenancy situation? I believe you'd have to get the form from your local city council's housing department.

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean but the above poster is right. We've used similar forms before but the Doctor just had a template on his computer he filled out with our name/info and gave it to us to use.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor should know how to do this. I don't think you need to be disabled either--the doctor just has to say that having a pet is good for you (and most will sign it, no problem).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I dont need one after all.  But goodness..if someone did.  I am in Florida right now and everyone seems to be unaware of the companion animal regulations.