Where do you buy your meat? Confused.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I have looked through the old threads and couldn't find a direct answer to my question.  For all of you who feed your cats raw meat, where do you buy the meat?  Someone said that you should get it from butchers or form specialty websites like Hare Today, because grocery store meat isn't fresh.  However, a lot of people also said that they bought meat from the grocery store and would wait for the sell by date to get them on sale.  

So, my question is, is it okay to feed my cat raw meat from those styrofoam trays with plastic wrap or do I have to go to a butcher?  I would be feeding as snacks/ supplements, not as their entire diet.  I don't want to buy in bulk since I just want a little to see if they will even eat it.  Thanks in advance. 

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
For small trial amounts, I think the small grocery packaging is okay...

I would NOT wait for the sales, and steer clear of grinds.  Both of those have potential for larger bacterial loads that newbies are not ready for. 

Get whole pieces and chop as needed (I use a cleaver & board and just go to town on it for my toothless one).  My suggestion would be to start with chicken breasts, easy to slice into small/thin pieces or chop finely.

Those of us who are already on board full steam usually buy larger amounts at a butcher, online, or even Costco.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks @Furmonster Mom!  I just gave one of my cats a leg bone to chew on and he actually knew what to do with it.  Probably because he was a stray.  I supervised of course, because I know it's not the ideal bone to feed.  I can't get chicken necks in my area, apparently, so I will settle for wings.  

So, another question. I would also like to feed gizzards as occasional snacks.  Would this also be something to buy at the butchers or would the grocery store be okay?

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@furmonstermom- I buy both the Primal Grinds and Hare Today Grinds. I would say there is almost no chance they are contaminated. Commercial food sellers test their food for contaminates and I am sure Tracey at Hare Today didn't get so popular with unhygienic practices. I understand that you should not buy grocery store ground meat but commercial grinds are very popular ( Felines pride, etc.) with good reason.

@Ruaryx- I buy some meats for chunking from Whole Foods.You could go in and just get 1 thigh or breast and see f your cats like it. They do sell organic but I just make sure that the meat I buy says anti biotic/hormone free and usually free- range. Good luck!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise

@furmonstermom- I buy both the Primal Grinds and Hare Today Grinds. I would say there is almost no chance they are contaminated. Commercial food sellers test their food for contaminates and I am sure Tracey at Hare Today didn't get so popular with unhygienic practices. I understand that you should not buy grocery store ground meat but commercial grinds are very popular ( Felines pride, etc.) with good reason.
Absolutely, I understand.  However, the OP was asking about grocery meats.

Last edited: