Where do I keep newborn kittens???

catquinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I recently took in a stray (Feb. 1st to be exact) and our vet CSS confirmed that she's pregnant, and had said she was due in about 20 days (which is any day now.) She's been nesting and eating like a pig, and her stomach "popped" about a week ago. =^.^=  I'm wondering  : where do I keep the kittens once they're born? I have two (neutered, male) cats and I'm not sure how they'd react to newborns. My first thought was to keep them in our spare room until they got older, but my husband doesn't want them in there. I'm at work all day and couldn't keep an eye on them, so I need a safe place to keep them and I don't know where. Help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The spare room would be best. If your DH doesnt want them there, what does he propose??

Mom and her children must have peace, be unstressed.  Thus, also best to isolate them from your residents until the kittens are say 5-6 weeks.

If the residents are best friends with mom, the isolation not really necessery, but otherwise...

Another alternative may be if they are in some sort of big cage... As long as the cage is in some protected, comfy place. Perhaps in your cellar or such.

Good you can supervise them now and then, but you cant of course be there the whole time... So you must organize it so, the mom manages them, with your help.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We actually have a large crate in our basement (once held a Rottweiler.) That's probably what I'll use.