Where do I buy a small training mat, to keep cat off counters and table?

2kittiesplusme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need a mat to train my cat to stay off the kitchen counter and table. The pet stores in my area do not have them, and recommend Amazon.com.  But the only ones can find at Amazon are somewhere like 48 inches long, or 60 inches long.  I need one 28", one 26" and one about 44".  Any idea what to do?

I tried SSSSScat and it's mechanically poorly designed, and does not function.  I tried two, and returned both.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used orange rind and when they got used to that, oil of peppermint.  They do have to be refreshed weekly though.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Essential oils are harmful to cats so please don't use them.

How about something like these?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+1894+10301&pcatid=10301

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+1894+668&pcatid=668

A plastic carpet runner cut to size and palced bumpy side up would probably work as well as the X Mat.
Can you provide links to research that backs this up?  The harmful part?  I put a drop on a cotton ball in a saucer once a week to keep them off my tables.  Is it just if rubbed on them or ingested?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had a problem with just keeping a cat off the kitchen counter. Never put them up there in the first place. Immediately shoo them off if they get up there. Keep chairs and easy access away from it. That simple. We sometimes have problems with the dining room table when we forget to push in chairs. But my cats get thay they aren't allowed and don't go there.

It probably helps that ours go outside during the day so they have plently of places to go to satisfy the climbing/height desire. If you're indoor only maybe a cat tree where they can be high and watch you from in that area as an alternative spot?

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never had a problem either, till I started keeping the cats indoors.  They can certainly jump much, much higher than my table without aid of chairs.  One can jump about six feet to the top of one of the cat stands.  It's mostly when the window is open and there is only a screen between them and the outside that they want to get to the window.  I know they want to chase birds flying by, leaves blowing by, darn bugs climbing on the screen but when open I guess they hear and smell enticing things outside too.  One does jump up on my kitchen counter to see if there is a bowl of grape tomatoes so she can steal a couple and take them down to play with.  Then the dog eats them so she has to go back and get more.  Yes, I should remember to cover them, but I don't.  :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Emily Orson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just spray my kitchen counters with a solution of vinegar and lemon: my cats hate the smell and stay off, and it is also a natural cleanser / anti-bacterial.