When will his fur grow back?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
Last month my cat got neutered, and as routine, they of course had to shave his booty and cherries prior to surgery. It’s been 4 weeks and he still has a bald booty. When one of my other cats was spayed her fur was as already noticeable by week 3. I don’t know why it’s taking forever for his fur to grow back. He has a very faint patch of black fuzz but it hasn’t really grown any further.
I recorded a funny video of him playing with a Kotex pad and posted it on one of my social media accounts. Most comments were from people lol’ing because of his bare booty that they completely missed the fact that he was playing with a Kotex pad, which was annoying lol It looks funny. We can see everything, even when his penis sticks out (yes, I said PENIS. We’re all adults here ok😆). Is it common for booty fur (or in any part of the body) to take a while to grow?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our littlest, Elliot, got neutered five weeks ago and his fur is just starting to grow back.

We rescued him from outdoors because he had a cut on his head that was infected and had abscessed. The injury is all healed and that one is also just starting to grow back.

Our eldest, Casper, got hurt on his back when he was climbing under furniture or something. We just cleaned it and put a little antiseptic on it. The wound, itself, took a few weeks to heal and a few weeks afterward for the fur to start growing. It took a couple-few months for the fur to completely grow back.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Generally when my shorthair cats have been shaved it takes about 4 months for the fur to grow back completely. For longhair cats I believe it can take longer.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a long-haired black cat once who swallowed a string from a roast and ended up with a perforated intestine. She was starving to death before we realized she was sick, and because of that her body began using melanin from her growing fur as nourishment - she started to turn white.

The vet found and removed the string and sewed her back up, but then she got peritonitis. It was touch and go for a while, but I managed to nurse her through it and she lived many more years. But as her fur began growing in black again you could see the white slowly moving away from her body toward the tip of her fur. She looked very strange, and it took months, because fur doesn't necessarily grow as fast as we think based on how much of it we're vacuuming up.

Margret

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a long time, as Willy is almost 10 years old today. He was neutered around age 1.5-2 (because of other health complications, I had to wait longer than normal to get him neutered).

My memory of the specific timeline is fuzzy, but I remember thinking that it was taking forever for the fur to grow back. I'm sure it was at least one month before I noticed it coming back.