When to switch to Senior food

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't talked with my vet about this yet, but I thought I'd see what everyone here thinks. I have two kitties, Spot and Willow. Spot is an old boy (I found him in September, so I don't know his exact age, but he's well over 10 years old). Willow was about a year old when I got her from the humane society 5 years ago, so she's about 6 years old now. Currently, I'm feeding them Precise Foundation. Should I be thinking about switching to the senior formula? What are some reasons to switch? Or should I just leave them on their current food, since they seem to be doing okay?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am always of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, that now being said, if Spot is having health issues due to his age, weight gain or other noticable signs of his metabolism slowing down such as more inactivity, then discuss it with your vet first, but senior food does contain fewer calories than adult formula foods. There are all sorts of problems caused by obesity but if Spot maintains a healthy weight, gets proper exercise and stays in good health, it shouldn't be necessary for a while yet. Once again, your vet should always be your guide in these matters though.

~gf~

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I haven't talked with my vet about this yet, but I thought I'd see what everyone here thinks. I have two kitties, Spot and Willow. Spot is an old boy (I found him in September, so I don't know his exact age, but he's well over 10 years old). Willow was about a year old when I got her from the humane society 5 years ago, so she's about 6 years old now. Currently, I'm feeding them Precise Foundation. Should I be thinking about switching to the senior formula? What are some reasons to switch? Or should I just leave them on their current food, since they seem to be doing okay?
At the age of 10, I'd have an exam and ask for a senior panel to be done...let the vet know you want baseline results on Spot's kidney function, and Thyroid function. I would consider changing him to a lower phosphorus, slightly lower protein, good quality food and consider doing whatever you can to increase his water intake - i.e. getting a water fountain for pets, increasing amount of canned (good canned) food in the diet and decreasing the per centage of dry.

Your gal who is about 6 - I'd also think that increasing wet food versus a total dry diet would be good, though I would not change her diet to a "senior" formulation just yet.

Just my opinions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that Spot has hyperthyroidism (I had a full panel done when I found him). He is on medication for it, and the medication does seem to be working. He's had a couple of abscesses (I'm not sure what caused them) but they are finally resolving. Willow had a bacterial urinary infection a few weeks ago, and she's set for a recheck on Monday to make sure that is resolved. Since I'm gone most of the day, I free feed both of them dry food only, with plenty of water available at all times. I do have a kitty water fountain, which Spot drinks from, but both cats prefer the plastic cup on top of my dresser. I'll ask my vet for her opinion either on Thursday when Spot goes in to get his head rechecked or on Monday when Willow goes in for her recheck.