When To Stop Free Feeding?

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KitKat is about 14 weeks old. We feed wet 2-3 times a day and keep out a bowl of dry all day, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed.

He is an eating machine! Last vet check he was 3 lbs, and is very healthy looking. But I know at some point, you are supposed to stop free feeding, right? When is that? I've read conflicting things.

Thanks for your help! Picture for cuteness.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good question!

Since he needs the access to extra calories while he is growing the answer is.... When he stops growing. I know, super helpful. :lolup:

In general, most cats stop growing somewhere between a year and 18 months. So there isn't a magic perfect date. It's when he no longer gains height or lenght that he has stopped growing. Weight doesn't have much to do with determining when a cat is full grown because there can be such a large range. For example, I have a 14 pound boy and a 7.5 pound little girl. My boy wasn't finished growing until he was 18 months, while my girl was done much earlier.

It won't hurt his growth any to stop free feeding around his first birthday if you want a solid point. Most cats major growth is before 9 months so that's when they really need access. A rapidly growing kitten could desire as much as 500 calories in a day compared to the 200-250 calorie range most adult cats need. Try to schedule feed a kitten in a growth spurt and you'll have a kitten crying for food. I tend to say, a year for a general point but if your cat still gets noticably larger or cries for food, you may want to give larger portions for a little longer and wait until two to really pay strict attention to calories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is actually very helpful, thank you! We did try to schedule feed and exactly what you said happened along with trying to steal our food, lol. He is such a spunky little lovebug. As soon as we went back to all day access, he was fine. :lol:

Good question!

Since he needs the access to extra calories while he is growing the answer is.... When he stops growing. I know, super helpful. :lolup:

In general, most cats stop growing somewhere between a year and 18 months. So there isn't a magic perfect date. It's when he no longer gains height or lenght that he has stopped growing. Weight doesn't have much to do with determining when a cat is full grown because there can be such a large range. For example, I have a 14 pound boy and a 7.5 pound little girl. My boy wasn't finished growing until he was 18 months, while my girl was done much earlier.

It won't hurt his growth any to stop free feeding around his first birthday if you want a solid point. Most cats major growth is before 9 months so that's when they really need access. A rapidly growing kitten could desire as much as 500 calories in a day compared to the 200-250 calorie range most adult cats need. Try to schedule feed a kitten in a growth spurt and you'll have a kitten crying for food. I tend to say, a year for a general point but if your cat still gets noticably larger or cries for food, you may want to give larger portions for a little longer and wait until two to really pay strict attention to calories.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3 nine month old kittens still eat 350-509 calories a day. They are getting bigger before my eyes. I did try to do the scadule meals but felt my babies weren’t gaining enough weight. Now I have dry out all day and feed two wet meals 4-6 oz daily. I just got a sealed pet bowl, so now I’m able to leave wet food out and they have free access to eat as much as they want. I give breakfast now and they eat the dry and eat the rest of their wet when they want. I feed raw in the mornings. Which they LOVE!

My babies have suspected IBD. So their food costs. But let your baby eat. If you feel after 1 year they are putting on weight then adjust accordingly.