When to release a spayed feral

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trapped a pregnant feral yesterday and had her spayed, I used a TruCatch fat cat trap. I have taken in many strays over the years but this is the first truly feral one I have dealt with. She is sitting quietly in her trap which is covered, she ate last night and a bit this morning, I am concerned because she has not peed or pooped, is this normal and due to stress? I was told to release her in 48 hours, seems to be a fine line between keeping her in a trap after major surgery and causing too much stress for doing so. Anyone experienced in TNR please comment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a feral kitty person, but one of the site members who is will see your post soon :)

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Binxie... I don't have much experience with ferals either. I'm sorry you didn't get any help here. You've probably let the kitty out by now. Hope she's doing okay.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told 10 days. It was March and we still had snow. Turned out she fell in love with our dog and we kept her. 48 hours and not only was yours spayed, she was aborted too, seems a very short time. Mine was years ago though, things have changed a lot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has eaten but has not used the litter. The instructions from the vet were to release in 48 hours as long as she was eating, alert and no signs of bleeding, because it is so stressful for a feral to be kept in a trap. They indicated that often because of the stress they may not even eat but thankfully she has. I got a good look at the incision and it looks good and does not appear to be bothering her. I was able to get a hold of someone that traps ferals all the time and she also said let her go in 48 hours, so I guess I have to trust those that do this all the time.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All mine have been released from the trap into a cage with a box in it that they could hide in. And the cage was either in my laundry room or my office. Mine had room and could stay out of my sight till they chose to let me see them, which was always a telling moment, when they would eat in my presence. I can certainly see how a cat would be stressed if kept in the trap, thinking large size have-a-heart type trap.