When to neuter?

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two precious boy kittens, about 4 months of age now.  My vet said that in about another month, they would be old enough to neuter.  That puts it at about five months of age.

Is this correct?  I always thought that male kittens had to be somewhere between 7 and 9 months old before they could be neutered.

Of course, as I may have mentioned elsewhere, it has been about 25 years since I have dealt with kittens.  I usually end up adopting cats that are near adult in age and development.

Thanks!

felines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe 6-8 months is the best age to neuter a kitten, however I came across that some cats and dogs neutered before age of 12 months grow much bigger than their standard size. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spays and neuters can be done as early as 2 lbs, or around 2 months.  I would get your boy neutered now before he develops the habit of spraying.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreeing with stephanietx. Nowadays, cats are done well before the 6 month mark, which was the old-school rule. One of mine was neutered at 11 weeks old before he came to live here at 12 weeks. Everything went well, and l think the younger they are, the easier the recovery seems to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I certainly want to get them fixed before they learn to spray. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally we recommend neutering at about 4 months old.  Cats can start getting their hormones at about 5-6 months of age.