When to let go of a feral?

oblivious291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I trapped a female feral, about 18 months old, at the end of July.  I managed to get her into my home and into my spare bedroom, well away from my domesticated, but very  antisocial, indoor cat. 

I got the feral spayed, and as many shots as possible to give her a good chance for the future. The vet said to bring her back in a month for a follow-up shot, so as I was certain she wouldn't fall for the trap again I kept her in the spare room.  Then when I did bring her back, they wouldn't treat her as she was a feral, and couldn't guarantee her or their staff's safety.  Bit of a pain, but there we go.

The cat spends all day hiding behind the couch; she has plenty of food/water/toys, but still I have had only limited success with her.  I have managed to give her treats from my hand, but she takes them and immediately disappears behind the couch with them.  I look at her and she still seems so scared.  I just don't know if I should just let her go?  Would she be happier outside, even with all the threats that would entail?  Compared to when I first caught her, she looks so much healthier.

I should also mention that I tried introducing my indoor cat to her but, while the feral had no reaction, the indoor cat spit and was quite agitated.  I also don't wish to cause her any stress.

I just don't know what is best to do for her.  Please, any advice

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind I also have the same questions and am bumping to see answers. But I do have a different style: I am crating first before letting her loose so to speak. Did you do this first? Or did you let her loose in a room first? I wonder if it matters for interaction.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You cannot let her outside now. That would be very cruel. She is happy in her own way. Leave her be & everything will work out. You are her person now & she trusts you will take care of her.

valeriej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you try setting up a "safe spot," a cubby in a cage with her litter and door open and the top covered. Maybe a piece of vertical cat furniture. And block off access to the couch area, but place the cage close by, This way she'll be part of your life but safe. Let her know you won't approach her when she's in her cubby or cage. I'll be soon adapting a feral to my home too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oblivious291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the first few days I kept her inside a large cage in the spare room.  She would stay huddled in the corner all the time I was in there, and eventually I felt so guilty about it that, after cat-proofing the room as much as possible, I left the cage door open so she could have more space.  She didn't do anything, so I left the room, and when I went back in she was out of the cage and hiding in a tiny space under the side of a desk.  After a few days she moved out from there to behind the couch, where she has remained since.  

I don't know where you are in terms of vet visits; but when it came time for her booster shot, she was very difficult to catch and bit my wife's hand quite badly.  So if you have one coming up soon probably best to keep them crated until then.

As far as interacting goes, she just stays behind the couch whenever anyone is in the room.  In the last couple of weeks I have managed to get her to come to the end of the couch by offering treats, which she will take from my hand, but as soon as I hold the treat a little way out of her comfort zone she will ignore it.  This coupled with her looking so miserable is what has made me contemplate letting her go. She knows there is a ready supply of food here, and if I put a dog house out there, she would have shelter.  So much guilt either way.

oblivious291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll give it a shot, thanks.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Primula.  Even though she seems unhappy, she is actually adjusting to the new scene. Depending on her personality, it might take months.

If you have the space and the patience, allow her to adjust and become an indoor cat.  If she's using the litter box and eating, she's in a good place.

Intros to the resident cat may take more time but no one ever said they have to love one another.  If they can peacefully co-exist, they have good lives!

I have seven former ferals, all of whom dislike one another.  But they've learned to live together without too much fuss and bother.

Occasionally, the youngest decides he wants to play and get everyone riled up - they either don't want to play or thinks he's fighting.  But that usually calms down when I play with him.  And of course, then everyone else wants to join in, too!

Its a matter of learning and accepting their personalities.

I second the crate, too.  She may be overwhelmed by all the new space and the crate (and her own room) may help her feel safer.  After all, when one has lived as a feral, one never knows where danger can come from!

BTW - love your avatar!

Last edited:

oblivious291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's progressing nicely.  Still a little nervous, but she is venturing out into the room while I am in it.  Plus she and my wife are now friends.  All in all, very pleased.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it's good to hear she is adjusting after roughly 2 months. that's how long it took me and momma. i just gave momma to an adopter and i hope that in the same amount of time they have that same success.

shouldercats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear she is adjusting, although very gradually.  It took my feral cat, Bronco 5 months before he would eat of my hand.....VERY reluctantly. 

And yes, I also contemplated letting him go, since he was still so wild after many months...... But, I just couldn't bring myself to do that.   I had no choice but to tough it out, along with him, and now I am SO VERY glad that I did.   I love that cat. 

After a feral cat calms down and decides they like you, they turn out to be THE BEST cat on the planet!!  Now, he's a lovey-dovey, shoulder cat! 

What worked best for me, was that I let the feral into my office while I was working @ home all day.    You basically ignore the cat, while you are working/paying bills/reading and the cat will watch you from afar.  After weeks of doing that, I could finally pet him.

Since your feral is already eating out of your hand, she is WELL on her way.   There is no turning back now!   Post a picture!

The avatar is Bronco, my former feral.  Trapped him one year ago this month!

Deb

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat in my avatar is Chester.  Every ten days or so, he will come to me and blink.  That means I may give him a scratch on the top of his head.  Ten seconds is all he'll allow and then he's off.  That is the extent of contact between us and Chester.

BTW blinking slowly is the feral cat's way of saying  "We're chill, man.  I feel safe with you."

If I blink at Chester and say "Blinkies, Chester man," he will blink back.  Then he runs away again.  Got places to go and things to do.

shouldercats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweet.   My Bronco, former feral cat, would also blink at me (before he would ever let me pet him).  He would sit, half hidden by the edge of the couch and slowly blink at me.  That's when I knew that he was tame-able.  I would blink back.  That was our only interaction for 2 or 3 months.

Now, he's Mr. Lovey-Dovey,  always wanting (and receiving) attention.  Follows me around the house, like a dog.  Bronco, baby, the blinker!

Deb