When to know if my cats are ready to meet?

Dandaleyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I have two cats, romeo and Oscar. Romeo is 11 months and Oscar is 6 months. I got Oscar at 4 months old and Romeo seems to have rejected him. They have been separated for two months with a screen door. Through the screen door everything seems fine. They smell each other and eat and when Oscar tries to climb the screen romeo tries to follow him. However, when i let them see each other without the screen it turns into what looks like a fight. They will roll around aggressively and Oscar will run away and hide. Romeo will then follow him while Oscar growls.
My question is, is this normal? I always separate them within five minutes ( I’ve only done this twice in the two months I’ve had him). Or should I let it continue in hopes they will work it out. I’m not sure if it’s aggressive or if they’re just figuring out how to communicate. How do I know when it’s ok to introduce them. They both meow when the screen door is closed and want to see the other one but as soon as I open it it seems to me like it’s a fight. How do I tell the difference between a fight and introduction?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bear in mind, also, that ALL play in cats is practicing for hunting. It can look quite aggressive. However, if there is no blood/pee/poop on the floor, and no fur in the air, it is not a cat fight. If one runs from the other, but its willing to be with the other cat 15 minutes later, it is not a cat fight.

Romeo is just a bit bigger, and Oscar needs a break. As Oscar gets some size on him, it will be easier for him to "ENOUGH ALREADY!" and enforce that. Right now, it sounds as if Romeo is just a bit excited to have a playmate. Give them a little more time, but continue to monitor this very closely.