When to introduce a new family member

tattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We lost our 19 year old shorthair British bicolor about 11 months ago and our 12 old Greyhound 2 weeks ago. Our 15 year old tabby seems to be grieving and lonely, as am i, but i don't want to bring in a new kitty too quickly. What are your thoughts?

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine loosing two fur kids in such a short amount of time. Hang in there. If it was me I would let myself and my other pet grieve for awhile. Get used to the new situation.  Give your remaining kitty lots of love and attention. It will help both of you.  I think you will know when the time is right to bring in another pet if that is what you want.. Sometimes the remaining pet does just fine alone.  Best of luck.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the loss of two babies in a short amount of time.  

I think @Mishicats  is right.  A friend of mine lost her beloved dog and went that very same day to get another one.  I swore I'd never have cats again when my beautiful 18 year old kitty died, but three weeks later I was at the SPCA getting brother and sister kittens.  

You'll know when (and if) the time is right.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. It has been hard, but without the pain, we would miss the joy! I agree that we need to wait a while. Many have suggested that I need another dog immediately, but that just isn't me. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply, sympathy and advice. Everyone is different and I agree that we will know when the time is right. I think sweet kitty will be okay until then. We have really ramped up the love and attention!