When to deworm kittens?

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I'm back again. (My cat, Pennie, had kittens on St. Patrick's Day.) This time, I stopped at a farm down the road, with a sign, "free kittens." They had 2 red males left. They guessed their age at 7-8 weeks. They were kept in a rabbit cage in the dairy barn above the manure trough/place where cows poop and pee when they're being milked. Anyway, we went to see them and my 8-year-old dropped one in the muck. I scooped him up, and felt so bad. At the time, I was looking for one for us, and neither of them struck me as "ours." We left, and then later that night, my conscience got to me. "Why didn't I bring them home, clean them up, and rehome them?" They were flea-ridden. So, today, after badgering my husband, he finally relented, and we went back to get them. Now, they're home, had a bath in dish detergent, got towel-dried, some loves, and soft food. Soooo, here's my question: their bellies feel overly big. I know they were given cow milk (another reason why I wanted to bring them home). Do you think they have worms? And, if so, is it too early to deworm them? I have some medicine left over from the vet. Can I give it to them?

One more thing- I always thought fleas were little, like specks of pepper. But, when I washed them, some bigger black and reddish bugs came out of their fur. I couldn't see them at first, but they seemed to "surface" with the water. Are these fleas? If not, what?

Thank you, in advance for your help! I love this site! I come here for all of my cat issues!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing these kittens. For your questions - if there were fleas on the kittens, you will have tapeworms and more then likely the kittens also have roundworms being outside cats.

You probably saved their lives as fleas can kill kittens by sucking their blood. The bigger black/red stuff was fleas and probably the dried blood. I'd take them to the vet with a stool sample and have the vet deworm them. The vet will give the proper dosage for their weight.

Don't do it yourself with over the counter medicines or leftover medicines.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is pretty reasonable to deworm kittens. But I would have the vet check them. You may consider vaccinations too so that when you adopt them out they will be more marketable. At 8 weeks they are at an age when you can use Advantage.
You can recoup the money with an adoption fee which is recommended. It keeps the loons away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support!

I did give them the worm medicine I had (before I read your reply, Golden
). And, I put on some flea medicine. I literally dreamed about fleas all night last night, and woke myself up scratching, iyiyiyi! So, I thought I'd post some pics. If you know of anyone in Western New York who is looking for one of these cuties, please pass on the info!

First, Rocco

Then, Rusty

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reds are one of my fav colors - he's cute

I don't recommend do it yourself, as I'd rather have a vet find out exactly what kind of worms they might have before giving medicines.