When to change the scratching post

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I noticed that my cat's scratching post is well.... very scratched... and I wonder if its time I got him a new one. I noticed that he prefers to scratch the top and bottom aka the least scratched areas instead of the middle. I'm also wondering if its at all easy to just change the sisal rope as I've heard a lot of people say they change it themselves. 

My scratching post has about 6 months of use btw, and I also think my cat has abnormally long claws, like he can really get them out there and even after clipping they are still pretty long. 

How often do you guys change your cat's scratching post (or whatever else you use)? 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
You can replace the rope or carpeting, it does save a lot of money. Take a trip to the carpet store and ask if they have any scraps if they're throwing away (I've done this and they're usually glad to give them to me or sell for extremely cheap). The rope you can get at most hardware store.

If there's any loose strings or any bits where claws can get caught on, I'd suggest trimming them off.