When to be worried about smelly breath?

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, a bit of back story -

Cecil has skin allergies and has been on steroid tablets for almost a year now (we still haven’t found the cause). He’s had no issues being on medication so far but it has definitely worried me knowing he’s on long term steroids.

He recently went onto a new allergy mananagement food (Dechra wet food with lamb and rice). He had slightly smelly breath anyway but recently it has got worse, when he’s cleaning himself I can smell it from a few metres away. My partner thinks it’s just from a change in food but I’ve convinced myself it smells a bit uriney which good old Google says could be kidney disease. He is only 2 years old.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else had a problem with their cats breath smelling. Is it normal? Or should I ask for blood tests tomorrow? TIA!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cecil is young to have breath that smells of urine. I have had cats who had kidney disease, and currently an ancient dog with kidney disease on subQ fluids who does not have that kind of breath. However, given that you are going to the vet, I would bring it up. If it is that specific ammonia smell, it is worth investigating. The article gives an overview. Certain smells, like a sweet smell, could be diabetes, etc. Have your vet check his mouth as well for anything that might be happening to his teeth or for any retained food, etc.

Bad Breath: Sign of Illness?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad breath can indicate gingivitis and other dental issues. Have the vet check the teeth but don't be surprised if the vet gives a quick look and says everything is fine. Lots of vets are unfamiliar with dental issues because it's not taught in depth in vet school. You c an seek out a veterinary dentist for a second opinion. It won't hurt to start a home dental care regime. Tooth brushing is best.

Nail polish smelling breath indicates a serious condition called ketoacidosis. Other health conditions may cause bad breath. Ask the vet to do blood work.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... it has definitely worried me knowing he’s on long term steroids.
Don't forget that there are two types of steroids: anabolic steroids and corticosteroids.

Anabolic steroids are the ones that people like Lance Armstrong use. Those are the bad ones.

Corticosteroids fight inflammation. In fact, the body manufactures its own corticosteroids.
Corticosteroid drugs are simply substances that mimic the actions of steroids naturally produced by the body.

This is not to say that corticosteroids don't have side effects. They do.

One side effect of corticosteroids are that they can slow the body's healing process. If you think about it for a second, it'll make sense because the body often produces inflammation in order to heal itself. Therefore, if you stop inflammation, you slow down or stop the healing process.

Here's the logic for using corticosteroids... If you have allergies, your body produces inflammation at times when it shouldn't. Inflammation causes discomfort and sickness. If you take steroids, you stop the sickness. If those steroids also have a side effect like slower healing, you need to decide whether it is worth it to take them. If you're sneezing and getting sick from allergies, it's probably worth it.

This is exactly the thought process your vet went through when he prescribed steroids for your cat's allergies.

I'm just a little bit disappointed that your vet didn't explain things to you. He could have explained that there are two types of steroids and that it would be wise for you to monitor for side effects and call him if you notice any.

It would have saved a whole lot of worrying on your part. Wouldn't it? ;)