When To Be Concerned?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Evie started eating slower than usual Thursday morning and Thursday night. When I got home Friday and gave them their dental treats, she gagged a few times and pawed at her mouth like the had something stuck on a tooth. I looked in her mouth, even swept my finger around and towards her throat to see if a piece of something got stuck and found nothing. She wasn't hiding throughout the eveing, but she was staying in one general place on the sofa. She didn't play with her knockoff Da Bird, her favorite toy, even though I could tell she wanted to (her pupils dilated, she crouched down, tail started to flick).

This morning, she ate her breakfast slowly again and didn't finish it (although neither did Dexter and Emerson...I think they are all iffy on the brand I chose to give that morning). Before I fed her, she gagged twice again and pawed. :( Poor sweetness.

She is still eating and peeing and pooping (good consistency, no diarrhea/soft poops), I just don't think she feels very good. Is this just something to keep an eye on? My vet has Saturday hours and I can get DH to take her Monday if need be. Later this morning, she was sitting next to me and purring/rolling over so I could give her chin and belly scritches, so maybe she is feeling better. I haven't seen her gag again since breakfast (~6 am).

Are there any outward symptoms to tell if a cat is feverish?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Other than actually taking the temperature, there isn't a very valid way to know, other than behavior changes, that something is wrong and that a fever might be happening.
She was gagging before she ate? That seems odd. I think if you see that she's still not herself today, try and take her in on Saturday if possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
It was very weird! She was asleep on the sofa when her brothers woke me up to feed them. I called for her, she woke up, stretched, and then gagged and pawed. Then she was fine and ate some. No gagging during or after eating that I can recall.

The good news! She chased Da Bird knockoff a little earlier this morning. Chased it right up their cat tree. :) Additionally, she ate some hard kibble around 10 (we give it as a treat) with no gagging or pawing. They get a noontime snack (entire meal for Dexter) today so I will see how she does then.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think if you see that she's still not herself today, try and take her in on Saturday if possible.
:yeah: I completely agree, my motto is, "when in doubt check it out."

Even calling your vet and explaining Evie's problem would be helpful. It's possible there's something going on with her teeth that you can't detect, e.g. a cracked or fractured tooth. Just out of curiosity, has she ever had her teeth professionally cleaned? What type of food are you feeding? The reason I asked is because if it's dry and there's a tooth problem she may be swallowing the piece(s) whole which could cause a gag reflex.

Please keep us posted on her progress. Fingers crossed she feels better soon. :crossfingers:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
She has not had a professional cleaning. She will be 3 in March. She and Emerson went in for ringworm (long story) back in December and the vet said their teeth looked good for their age, never mentioned a cleaning. I hadn't considered a tooth problem, so thank your for putting that in my head! It's definitely something to consider.

We feed wet food for meals. We used to feed half raw, half wet; however, they began rejecting the raw (all three...they collaborate, I swear) so we are taking a break from it to see if they will forget they didn't like it...lol.

Thank you both for your responses. I will see how she does at their noontime meal and at their dinner tonight. Still no gagging or pawing as of now! :yess:We will make a decision then.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: She has a vet appointment Monday morning. While she is playing more and eating normally, she still occasionally gags and paws, this time while eating.

My Type A personality is going haywire because DH has to take her in. I want to be there but I cannot. :bawling2:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Evie had her vet appointment this morning. Vet said she was in the very beginning stages of gingivitis and her gums were inflamed and irritated, hence the pawing and reduced appetite. She gave her a long lasting antibiotic (for the inflammation I suppose?) and a steroid shot. We haver an appointment for a full dental cleaning on March 8th.

When DH got her home, she was very hungry (he didn't feed her in case she had to be sedated) and ate a whole can! Hopefully she will continue to heal and the injections will help her until her full workup.

Thank you all for your support!