When they play.....

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that Dinah will lick ScatCat when he tries to play with her. This doesnt happen all the time, but often, while they are playing, she will lick him a few times, then play, then lick, then play. Why does she do this? What is she saying?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she likes him, then why does she growl at him all the time? He wont leave her alone. I swear, he's a little pest. They fight as often as they play at this point. One minute she is licking him, a few later, she's growling. What's up with that?

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DinahCat

If she likes him, then why does she growl at him all the time? He wont leave her alone. I swear, he's a little pest. They fight as often as they play at this point. One minute she is licking him, a few later, she's growling. What's up with that?
Sounds like they're just playing to me... that's how cats play. CJ will hiss at Billy all the time, then the next time I see them, they're konked out wrapped around each other.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its a dominance thign too
who ever licks the other the most wins... and one will growl if it doesnt like being dominated, or if it wants to dominate the other and the other wont sit still

this was posted on a post in behavior a while ago, but I remembered it.
Yay!

Elliot and Aerowyn do this also, they seem to be equal in the dominance department though...

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats lick and play like that all the time. We do have buddies very close cats - Chucky and Max are very close everything is done together, eat, sleep, play, pick on buddy
- Ricky and Titden is the same way always together. But any of them when they play they lick each other too.. Its so cute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigOrangeMenace

Its a dominance thign too
who ever licks the other the most wins... and one will growl if it doesnt like being dominated, or if it wants to dominate the other and the other wont sit still

this was posted on a post in behavior a while ago, but I remembered it.
Yay!

Elliot and Aerowyn do this also, they seem to be equal in the dominance department though...
Sounds like Dinah is wanting to be the dominant one, and rightfully so, I think. She is older, and she did come to me first.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two groom each other all the time, but they give each other a couple of quick licks if one of them bites the other too hard when their playing.

I usually think it's saying their sorry for biting too hard