When should new kitten see vet for check up?

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm "foster failing" and keeping a kitten that I've been fostering. His adoption will be official next week after they neuter him. This shelter does have its own vet staff for both shelter animals and its low cost vaccine clinic for the public. I can (and probably will) take him back there for his shots since it's such a huge savings. They said that by the time he's adopted, he'll have got his last round of kitten shots, so he'll be good to go for a year. That being said, I think I should establish a primary vet still, correct? I think they do a quick exam prior to administering shots, but not sure if it's the same as an annual check up or not. Plus, I want to already have an established relationship with a good vet BEFORE he gets sick or injured. Any suggestions on how soon I should get him in?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always take new cats or kittens to my vet at the earliest appointment. Bring any shot or vet records you have so your vet can have records. I do it early so that we are established and have a good base line started.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I think I'll call and get him in then shortly after he's "official." I like the idea of the vet already knowing his history and such should he get sick or injured (which hopefully doesn't happen, but you never know).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I seem to always have at least two appointments in the first year with kittens. Always something minor but I like to have them checked out just incase because I tend to be paranoid. Getting them official with our vet before that seems to help smooth things along and they already have record of weight and temperature to know if either of those is something to be concerned about.