When Should I Have My Kitten Spayed?

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new female kitten is about seven, or eight weeks old now. She is getting along great with her big brother, neutered one year old, although still supervised.

When should I spay her? I hate to wait too long, because then I have to separate her from Outlaw, just when they are ready to be together full time, but of course, she needs to be old enough. The clinic says they can do it when she is eight weeks, or two pounds, but that sounds so tiny. What is optimal for size and strength to heal quickly, while still young?

Also, they play very rough! How long should I keep them apart, barring any infection, or complication?

By the way, thank you to everyone who gave me advice about introducing them! It’s been so much fun!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

The ASPCA says as early as 8 weeks as well, but in any case, cats can reach sexual maturity as early as four months, so at some point before then.

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would listen to the clinic, if your not convinced, you can call some other clinics in the area and ask their opinion/policy for a spay. As for keeping them apart, I find most clinics will tell their clients to restrict active play for 10-14 days or basically until the stitches are removed and the incision is well underway in healing.

In my opinion you should feel comfortable to call your clinic with any concerns, especially ones like this (not to say you shouldn't be posting on here) and if you feel like they don't care to take the time to listen to your concerns perhaps you should consider a different clinic.

I also want to applaud you for being a good owner and getting your kitten spayed!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet.

Personally I'm in the 4 month boat. Right when they hit 4 months for female cats. Not because they can't do it at 8 weeks but because I struggle with the idea of my wee baby kitten being operated on. At 4 months they are bigger. For boy cats I have waited for 6 months on some.... but I never wanted to go through another cat being in heat again; so it was a "you are 3 months old miss kitty you are getting fixed next month!"

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it CAN be done but I don't like the idea of a pet cat getting surgery at 8 weeks if it can be avoided. Of course shelters have to do what they have to do but for those already in a home I prefer to wait a little longer. Personally I think 14 weeks is just right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the responses! I think I’ll wait a bit, so she isn’t so tiny. We are still bonding too and I don’t want to interrupt that. It’s funny how I’ve had cats all my life, but usually adult strays, or stray kittens in the barn that someone dumped. This kitten thing is quite amazing. She’s like raising my kids again!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a friend recently who lost their 10 week old kitten to a spay surgery. They did not wake up from anesthesia. Before then I would have said ASAP. Now I would say 3-4 months. I wouldn't wait any longer than that.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine were spayed at 5 months. I have a boy and a girl (littermates), and the boy was visibly maturing as we neared the surgery date, so I was a little anxious that he would attempt something before they went in, but it was fine. If I ever do this again, I will be doing it by 4 months!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise