When should I check my cats potassium and sodium levels?

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I’m going to the vets with my kitty in a few days for her annual check-up. We are going to do heart and abdominal ultrasounds, also blood tests. Sodium and potassium are not the part of regular blood tests, I’m wondering if I should ask my vet to check this levels? My cat is 11 or 12 years old, she is in great health and shows no signs of illness. But I want to know if something is wrong before it becomes too advanced or smth if it makes sense. I just don’t know if these levels will tell me something or in which cases I need to check them.
If someone have some information or can provide me with studies on this subject it’ll be much appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Normally at that age a vet starts doing a "senior blood panel" and those may be included. I'd ask your vet about it.
Thank you! I didn’t really heard about this panel in Ukraine, I think we don’t have it here but I’ll def ask

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If not known as a senior blood panel, ask about a 'Chemistry Panel' (that would be in addition to the 'standard' CBC). This panel usually covers blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, sodium, potassium, chloride, carbon dioxide, glucose, calcium, magnesium, and phosphate, and possibly other elements all of which measure blood enzymes and organ function.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If not known as a senior blood panel, ask about a 'Chemistry Panel' (that would be in addition to the 'standard' CBC). This panel usually covers blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, sodium, potassium, chloride, carbon dioxide, glucose, calcium, magnesium, and phosphate, and possibly other elements all of which measure blood enzymes and organ function.
Thanks! I know about chemistry panel, we always do this for my cats. At my vets sodium and potassium are not included there, that’s why I asked if I should go to another vet hospital for this test, cause as I’m aware it’s not available at my vets

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe call around to the various vets and ask about what panel could be done to include sodium and potassium.
Will do! I do know where I can do this tests I just don’t want my cat to experience several needles for her blood tests so I really prefer to do everything at one vet hospital. I’ll def ask my vet what can be done and what these levels can show me to make my decision 🩷 I’m thankful for your help!