When Is It "time?"

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
He’ll feel better after he’s hydrated! There are online videos that are helpful if it’s your first time.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding "is it time", I will talk about my two most recent experiences. First off, my feline soul mate Lucky. He told me in no uncertain terms that it was time. We made the decision on a Wednesday, took him in the next day. He seemed almost happy. Then there was Sara. Took her in on a Monday, as she had developed a growth near where the subqs were being administered. Was sure we were going to say goodbye then. Sara, who usually walked around the room at the vet, hit the door of the carrier until it opened after the vet was done examining her. I'd never seen this before with her. Then when she got the door open, she went inside and looked at me as if to say "Ok, when are we going home?" It was then I realized she wanted to die at home. Come Thursday, with her obviously in the process of dying, I freaked out a bit and ended up taking her in anyway. I still feel guilty about that because it wasn't what she wanted, and I felt it wasn't my decision to make.

Ok, now onto subqs. The general "rule" in terms of amount is 10ml per pound of cat per day. More or less depending on how much dehydration is involved or possible heart issues. As well as how far along they are in their issues. Warming up fluids is helpful. Don't microwave, but rather put the bag in warm water (I've seen a vase suggested). Making sure of course none of the ports or other openings are in the water. I have a laser temperature taker to let me know the temperature before using it, but it helps to do a "wrist test" much like a baby bottle also. There may still be some shivering though, it will pass. I like the idea of a warm towel.

As far as needles, my preference is a 20-21 gauge UTW (ultra-thin wall) needle. Higher gauge will defeat the purpose of the ultra-thin wall, which allows more fluid to pass through at a faster rate, similar to the 18 or possibly even 16 gauge. They are much easier on the kitties though than 16 or 18.

I didn't get to read everything else but I'm more than happy to help with anything you may have questions with. I've taken care of my own kitties in hospice, as well as others' kitties in hospice. I consider it a great honor to be able to care for them when they are at that point in their lives.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
As far as needles, my preference is a 20-21 gauge UTW (ultra-thin wall) needle. Higher gauge will defeat the purpose of the ultra-thin wall, which allows more fluid to pass through at a faster rate, similar to the 18 or possibly even 16 gauge. They are much easier on the kitties though than 16 or 18.
I agree with donutte donutte that 20 gauge is preferable. In the case of an impatient kitty, though, 18 gauge allows the fluids to run more quickly, shortening the amount of time it takes. Max just wouldn’t hold still that long so I had to switch to an 18. Every kitty is different!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I too used 18 on my elderly girl-she wouldn't sit still long enough- we used the top of toilet seat-I have one of those carpet toilet covers-she used to sit on the toilet seat when we showered-I hung fluids on shower rod. It took a bit getting used to- insert needle-hold in place-other hand open valve to release fluids while holding her still. We only did 50ml at a time as she had heart issues but it definately helped..she had cancer and stopped eating. We also treated with injectible pepcid ac=which seemed to help as well as Cerenia, she got 3 jabs every morning but she was not pillable-she took it like a trooper. The Cerenia was expensive but def made a difference.

I didn't know she had cancer in the beginning-we had her on fluids for a week or so then she displayed signs she was ready. She had this look in her eyes. She was tired and breathing was getting more difficult-I had already made the appointment once ultrasound was done- It was done the following day because her humans wanted a night to say goodbye. It was hard, I still miss her but I know she's free from pain and gone onto the other side. We will meet up some day...I was honored to help her transition and keep her comfortable with fluids and meds-but going into this-I just figured she had a bad case of pancreatitis.

I know it's painful. I know you feel scared. But know your kitty loves you and forgives whatever decisions you decide. Sometimes they tell us they are ready, sometimes they don't... I just recognized that look in her eyes.. she wasn't eating and was not feeling well despite interventions. Would I do it again? I would have elected to get ultrasound done much sooner to relieve suffering..but we don't know the future. And sometimes we just don't know what the answer is..

We are here for you whenever you need us. Or vent. Or ask questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heebeeweebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give everyone an update. On Friday evening Charlie really was not doing well, again. He didn't eat or drink all day, and was still having the blood-streaked liquid poop that seemed to cause him pain. I gave him fluids, but he pulled out the needle before enough got in him. I was about to put the needle in again and he gave me this look like "please...just stop. I can't." And I did.

I put him in my bed and laid down next to him, and as I watched him shift around uncomfortably, I knew it was time. Between the strokes and his uncontrolled IBD, despite best efforts, he was no longer having any good days. I gave him special treats, tons of cuddles, and good canned food. I called his regular vet on Saturday morning and brought him in.

The vet assured me that letting him go at this point was not "too soon," and that we had done everything we could do. She said that, yes, I could wait longer, but that he was not likely to rebound, and Charlie would keep get worse from this point. I made the decision to end his suffering.

I held Charlie in his blanket and sat on the floor while the tranquilizer kicked in. He slowly went to sleep as I stroked him and talked to him. When the vet came in for the final shot, Charlie was fully asleep, relaxed. I like to think that he didn't know anything past falling asleep in my arms, protected and loved. His favorite vet tech was working and she came in as well. All three of us shed tears and hugged. He was a wonderful wonderful little man. I hope I did the right thing.

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be honest and admit that if I were you, I would euthanize him before spending the $1200 a cat who is old and very ill. It sounds like he may be miserable (cats will often mask pain and discomfort). Even if he's not, if you choose not to spend the money, please don't feel guilty. It sounds like you have done a great job with him while he's been in your care.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The greatest gesture of love between a pet and their guardian rips our hearts out every time.
Yes you did the right thing. Charlie told you it was time.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I delayed reading your post until I was alone this evening because I knew I was going to cry. Your little guy. You loved him and made his life a joy...and he did the same for you. Easing his way at the end was your final act of love and caring for him.

You’ll probably see him out of the corner of your eye for awhile. I did after I lost Max. It hurt, but I like to think that it’s their way of checking in on us to make sure we’re okay and to let us know we did the right thing.

I am so so sorry for your loss.