When I grow up, I'll look like...?

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my local animal shelters has some kittens that are unusual looking (at least to my untrained eye.) They're describing them as "blue smoke". 

What do you think they'll look like when they're grown? Different than the typical solid blue DSH or "Russian Blue Mix" kittens that I see more often?

They're certainly adorable now, and I doubt they'll ever outgrow that!  Also, DIBS! 

Last edited by a moderator:

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness they are beautiful! Such pretty kitties, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable might know - I just had to comment. I am guessing that's Mom with them?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's their Mama with them. She's beautiful too. I wonder what their dad looks like...some of the kittens seem to have dark points like a Siamese. But I know virtually nothing about cat genetics, though I did learn what "smoke" means here today.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

One of my local animal shelters has some kittens that are unusual looking (at least to my untrained eye.) They're describing them as "blue smoke". 

What do you think they'll look like when they're grown? Different than the typical solid blue DSH or "Russian Blue Mix" kittens that I see more often?

They're certainly adorable now, and I doubt they'll ever outgrow that!  Also, DIBS! 

Yes, that's their Mama with them. She's beautiful too. I wonder what their dad looks like...some of the kittens seem to have dark points like a Siamese. But I know virtually nothing about cat genetics, though I did learn what "smoke" means here today.
Dark points is surely the so called fever coat.   Its no true point coloration, and will go over with time, revealing their true color later on.

Its possibly the same with the other kittens.   I think so.  Momma had prob an infection while preg with them.

Momma has the looks of a decently shaped Russian blue...  Talking about RB mixes, she has even greenish eyes.

I didnt noticed if she has the typical silverish shine.  If so....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continuing...  Im pretty sure all the smokeys are fever coats, both them and them dark points.  These I saw clearly are f.c.

The question is, what color there will be when they grow out from that fever coat.  Will they remain "blue" as momma, for real?

Blue isnt dominant, mixes after RB are often black.  So IF the children are also blue, we will know more about the father - and the mother too.   Perhaps a refugee from a BYB breeder??

Speculating some.

She has a nice body shape, and the shape of the kittens little bodies fully  consistent with RB kittens too.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. I'd never heard of fever points and am enjoying learning about this stuff. What about their coat length? It seems long, but I know that often kittens with longish hair grow up to be short-haired cats.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about this little guy? How does he compare to purebred Russian Blues? He's got a funny looking little face right now, wide cheekbones, and small close-set eyes. He's from a separate litter. His eyes are gray green now, not blue like the smokies. Pretty sure he's going to be shorthair.

Also, the single kitten is estimated to be a couple of weeks older than the litter, which might be why his eyes aren't blue.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I too think the blue eye mentioned are small kitten eye.  I agree its easier to see the outcome when they are a little older.

So is in fact also with breeders.  If a breeder is seeking after a future breeding queen, she is usually wanting to look at older kittens, or at least, wants to see the parents...

She knows adorable small kittens will grew up into nice purebreds, but if they will be good quality breeding stock, isnt visible on small kittens...

My guess is, there is one or even several BYB breeders of RB in the area, whom are dumping their stock now and then.  Or, at least, not being very picky whom is allowed to buys their kittens...   And thus,  blue gray RB look alikes are produced.. and spread around homeless.

Im not always against small scale amateur breeders. whom technically ARE on verge of being BYB.  But they shall of course take good care of their offspring.  THAT is the big decisive point whom is the despicable byb, and whom is a byb who is acceptable.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Stefan, very much for the detailed responses. Yes, lots of these blue kittens seem to be ending up in shelters around the city. I hate that some irresponsible humans are allowing their cats to breed indiscriminately, but it does seem to be benefiting the local stray cat gene pool. [emoji]128559[/emoji]

I picked the little guy in the picture up from the shelter this afternoon, along with his sister, a blue tabby. I'm going to foster them until they are old enough to be neutered/spayed. I'm already half in love with his funny little face, so it probably doesn't matter what kind of cat he's going to look like when he's grown. The smokies already found a foster home, luckily.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today is George's first birthday (according to the shelter estimate). So I can say with confidence that this kitten:

Will grow up to look like this:

I ended up adopting him (of course) and his litter mate Alice. He's turned into a very handsome cat, probably more of a Korat lookalike than an RB lookalike (long and lean, with hazel eyes and no undercoat.) But I love him for his sweet disposition and the toothy grin he gives me when I pet him. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ He's turned out to be just perfect.

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[emoji]127880[/emoji]Happy 1st Brithday, George[emoji]127880[/emoji]

Wow, George is just stunning!! I hope he had a great day doing all the things a beloved cat should be doing [emoji]127874[/emoji]

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Birthday, Georgie Boy!

What a lucky, lucky cat you are to have such fine family!