When getting spayed

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whoops I meant Neutered lol SORRY! (i cant change the name ^^^)

what exactly do they snip?  
lol thanks 

I know how they do females but we took in a male kitten and thinking about keeping him. 

We've named him Mou5 (mouse)

He had 2 other siblings  A brother named "Royce" and a sister named "Lexus" but we've found them good homes. 

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They remove the entire testes.  They cut the cords and tie them off and then remove the rest.  After that the scrotum is shut usually just by pressure or maybe glue.  The scrotum is pretty good about holding closed.  VERY fast surgery and very low risk.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes my little guy just went through it, and he didn't have issues. His scrotum is still there, they made an incision on each side to remove the testicles. I'm not sure how they close them, I just know there are no stitches.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the chance to watch a dog neuter once. Surprisingly, it looked like the vet squeezed the testes and they popped out.

Some people say the scrotums shrink, but Wilbur's apparently did not.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took some cats to a low-cost clinic, and they actually stitched the males! I don't know why. . .maybe because many are ferals who will be released? I've never seen male cats get stitches (well, A stitch) before. Usually it's just left open to heal. So there is a chance your boy will have a stitch or 2, but more likely not.

Dog neuters are really very different from cat neuters (different locations, different procedure, etc.). I honestly didn't know that boy dogs get stitches. . .my vet either doesn't stitch them or they pulled their stitches out before I got home (I had them neutered while boarding at the vet's while I was on vacation). But from reading other things, I gather that boy dogs usually have stitches, and many people stress about getting them not to chew the sutures out :anon:. Oh well, if my vet didn't think it was a problem, I won't worry about it. They healed fine.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took some cats to a low-cost clinic, and they actually stitched the males! I don't know why. . .maybe because many are ferals who will be released? I've never seen male cats get stitches (well, A stitch) before. Usually it's just left open to heal. So there is a chance your boy will have a stitch or 2, but more likely not.
Dog neuters are really very different from cat neuters (different locations, different procedure, etc.). I honestly didn't know that boy dogs get stitches. My vet either doesn't stitch them or they pulled their stitches out before I got home (I had them neutered while boarding at the vet's while I was on vacation). But from reading other things, I gather that boy dogs usually have stitches, and many people stress about getting them not to chew the sutures out. Oh well, if my vet didn't think it was a problem, I won't worry about it. They healed fine.
I was told the reason not to let a just-neutered kitten go out of his cage is to protect the stitches because activity can break them when I was a shelter volunteer. I never saw any stitches on him, but he is all black.

I think male dogs do get stitches because once at Petco, I saw a dog wearing a cone and the volunteer who brought him said he was recently neutered. The only reason to wear a cone collar after getting neutered is to protect the stitches, right?

I wonder why any vet would not stitch the cat. How can the scrotum heal on its own after that surgery?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a grandstand view of my newly-neutered kitten's scrotum.  He hasn't any stitches, there is no weeping, bleeding or ouzing.  There are two tiny incisions each 5mm or less.  I suspect it doesn't needs stitching as 1) the incision is so short and 2) they are not under any strain.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No stitches at all here either, and I was given no special instructions with regards to activity. I let him out of the carrier when I got home and insanity ensued as normal. He was wrestling his sister like nothing happened.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, just what mine did - after he had stuffed his face!  If he was a child he would eat with 2 hands.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a thing with my vet over male dog stitches.  I told her don't do it as the cone and all would freak him out. 

She did.

He FREAKED.  Hours later I took them out took off his cone and all was fine.

The scrotum really is like glue on itself in a male cat/kitten, amazing!  I have to laugh at the restrict activity-how many people freak and get online to find answers after vet is closed as the cat is running around and don't know what to do.  Really most healthy animals should be fine after a neuter or spay.  The kittens were the best as I had many "recovereing" in one night and they had NO idea they had just had surgery.  The older ones will take it easy and be a bit slow but the kittens were all over the room.  divided them into a few crates for the night just so they could et some rest as seemed so energetic.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my vet's post-op info sheet, it doesn't say anything about restricting a male's activity. Just to feed him a little bit at first in case the anesthetic upset his tummy, and to keep him from going swimming or rolling in mud to prevent infection (made for dogs, I think :tongue2:). I mean, what's going to happen? If his stitches come out, what can go wrong? Is something going to fall out of the incision? A little late for that! :lol3: I think it's silly when people come on the dog forum asking for tips to keep their recently-neutered male calm or to stop him from freaking out over the cone. But telling them just to let the dog do what he wants doesn't go over well when their vet told them otherwise. I always say that calves get castrated right there in the field and go on with their lives, nobody tells them not to run or jump or roll in mud!

Of course it's a little different with females, as a spay is major abdominal surgery. But even so, I don't usually try to restrict their activity, unless I see a lot of wrestling and tummy-kicking going on in the first few days (after 3 days, it's fairly well knit). And I don't let a dog run or jump much for about a week after a spay.

Last edited: