When does it become too many cats?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she means that many cats collectively, not all at once?

Anyway, I'd love to work there! I need to somehow get a billion dollars so I can open a place like that. Operating expenses are probably a few million a year (I figured around a million in salaries/benefits, and 1-2 million in supplies/vet care for the cats). I know there are a lot of people with a few million to burn every year, and it's better they take care of kitties rather than buy jets, expensive cars, and castles in France. It's just too bad I'm not one of those people!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe Cat Person lives in BC? Apparently there is one sanctuary that's larger! http://www.rapsociety.com/catsanctuary/index.html

The largest in the SE has 400 dogs & cats: http://www.sfas.org/about-sfas/

I wonder how many are at the Caboodle Ranch?

Edited to add: Best Friends cares for 1,700 animals on any given day. http://www.bestfriends.org/atthesanctuary/ They have 3,700 acres, with an additional 33,000 leased from the BLM.

Not sure why Cat House on the Kings is identified as the largest?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Maybe Cat Person lives in BC? Apparently there is one sanctuary that's larger! http://www.rapsociety.com/catsanctuary/index.html

The largest in the SE has 400 dogs & cats: http://www.sfas.org/about-sfas/

I wonder how many are at the Caboodle Ranch?

Edited to add: Best Friends cares for 1,700 animals on any given day. http://www.bestfriends.org/atthesanctuary/ They have 3,700 acres, with an additional 33,000 leased from the BLM.

Not sure why Cat House on the Kings is identified as the largest?
These are sanctuaries, right? Cat Person said No Kill Shelter.
As far as Sanctuary, maybe because it is a Cat only?

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

These are sanctuaries, right? Cat Person said No Kill Shelter.
As far as Sanctuary, maybe because it is a Cat only?
I think that's right. It's a shelter, which adopts the cats out, exchanges adoptable cats with non adoptable cats to rescues..I think a sanctuary is a permanent home?

I think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, because Best Friends is considered a sanctuary, but they do adopt animals out.

I dunno
. Maybe the person who said it was the largest didn't know what they were talking about. Or maybe they have the most cats of any sanctuary/no-kill shelter?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably because it's cat only.
Most cats in US. And the Richmond, BC sanctuary has the most cats in North America.

But shelters don't have as many animals as sanctuaries - by far. So ... ?????

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Probably because it's cat only.
Most cats in US. And the Richmond, BC sanctuary has the most cats in North America.

But shelters don't have as many animals as sanctuaries - by far. So ... ?????
Maybe because sanctuaries, keep them for life
Yes, they do adopt some out, but once they are taken in, they can stay for life - That's why a lot of them have geriatric care, and are cage free... Shelters, even though do have some long time residents, are primarily geared towards adoption - in-and-out.
So in a sanctuary, proportionally, the live-in numbers will be higher, while adoption numbers will be lower.... That's what makes sense for me, at least....

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Really?! Where is this gigantic shelter? Because if this woman's sanctuary is the biggest not only in America, but in the World (with 12 acres of land!!!), I am very curious now to to know about a no kill shelter that supports such capacity - let alone dogs and other animals! Can you please give us a link of this amazing shelter?
The women I work for are not publicly founded. Nor want anything to do with the public. Hence no website
. I can post a few photo's but can not say where we are located as these women really hate the public. This might be why I work for them

One is a practicing veterinarian and one of them a retired physicist and mathematician.

They both bought a three story home (human grade home) for there cats!

We have 550 cats I went threw the records last night. So I lied it looks like 700

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

The women I work for are not publicly founded. Nor want anything to do with the public. Hence no website
. I can post a few photo's but can not say where we are located as these women really hate the public. This might be why I work for them

One is a practicing veterinarian and one of them a retired physicist and mathematician.

They both bought a three story home (human grade home) for there cats!

We have 550 cats I went threw the records last night. So I lied it looks like 700
Well that's just bizarre.....if they don't like the public and don't want to be found it sounds like they're hiding something.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

Well that's just bizarre.....if they don't like the public and don't want to be found it sounds like they're hiding something.
Okay let me try and say this delicately number one reason they do not want to be found is they do not want any more cats dropped off. They are sick of it and I can not blame them.

The second reason is they are financially very very very stable hence do not need help money wise.

The third reason is they are a private home forever shelter so they feel if they do not adopt out they do not want anything to do with the public.

I will post some photo's of some of the cats tonight or tomorrow

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

Bizarre it is.... hard to believe it too
Especially when she probably needs their money to care for the cats. It makes no sense, and I don't believe it.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure you do not believe it. I had not believed it till I saw it

I am not sure if it is wise to post photo's so I am not. As I said they have a ton of money between them. One is a practicing vet and the other is a retired physicist and mathematician.

So why do you all think they have no money
? Or do you think I am cheep or work for free
?

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The independently wealthy part and not needing government help makes sense but I find it hard to believe that they have over 500 cats, outside help and the story hasn't gone public. Not saying I'm calling you a liar, just hard to believe that everyone (vet, nurse, caretaker, neighbor, gardener, meter maid, etc) has kept their mouth shut. Lucky them.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree
. I wish they where less "hidden" cause I really think they could be a good TV show. But you have to remember just like me the independability wealthy can do as they wish

O and I am the maid too

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watch a webcam at Friends of Felines Rescue Center in Ohio. (www.ffrc.petfinder.com is their website) At any point in time, they house 60-100 (approx) cats. In the main portion of the center, are some resident cats, mainly geriatric cats, but there are a couple that are younger, and the cats that are available for adoption. There is a staff of approximately 40 volunteers that work in 3 shifts throughout the day, 7 days a week. Each shift, they feed, clean boxes, mop, brush all the long hair and medium hair kitties, do laundry, change towels and pillow cases off of perches and beds, and a host of other things. All of the cats live in harmony together; it's amazing. There are the occasional squabbles, but no serious fights. Each morning, Jacci (the founder) checks her book of kitties to see who needs vaccines, nail trims, flea treatments, or other medication. She weighs kittens and cats that have medical issues and records all that. There is a low-cost clinic on the premises and 3X a week a vet comes to do spays, neuters, and wellness checks for the kitties at the shelter and in the community.

There are also cats who live on the sunporch. They couldn't handle living indoors for whatever reason (spraying, fighting, and etc.) In the winter, they are moved into the big barn that is totally equipped with heat, weatherproof, and they have all the ammenities of home. During the summer months, they have enclosed areas in which to live. They also are tended to during the 3 shifts.

The last group of cats are the Cat's Cove cats. These are mostly former ferals who have behavior problems, medical issues, or some other situation that makes them unadoptable. They live in the big barn that has rugs on the floor, lots of cat furniture for them to lay/jump on, and cat walkways all around. They are also part of the 3 shifts and are loved on, fed, groomed, etc daily.

I'm not exactly sure how big all of FFRC is, but I do know that it's all volunteer and run on a lot of donations. They just built a new addition to the Center to serve as an isolation area for new intakes and for those recovering from surgery or new moms and kittens. Every single cat is vetted, de-wormed, flea treated, and very loved.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone watch this last night? I just caught it on the DVR at my parents' house. I really enjoyed it, though it was very emotional at times. What did you think?

I think doing the special is really smart. She relies on donations and I think a lot of people are going to be sending her money after seeing the program.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A small photo of some of the cats I work with. No questions will be answered. It is just to show proof of what I say.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No comments though
? I was going to post two or three more but I guess not.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm more interested in knowing what people thought about the program than arguing about the sizes of shelters or the number of cats they care for. Just my opinion.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by parsleysage

I'm more interested in knowing what people thought about the program than arguing about the sizes of shelters or the number of cats they care for. Just my opinion.
I see, I am sorry
. Do you want me to delete my posts? Or at least the picture's? Or I can make my insane job its own thread
. Or I can leave it alone
. Again I am sorry.