When do kittens pick "their person"?

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got a 12.5 week old Abyssinian kitten about a week ago and I'm wondering when/if she will set her preference for one person in the family. So far, she seems to prefer my 5 year old son who was with me when I picked her up at the breeders house. She will let him pick her up, sit with him and let him pet her while purring. Then she likes the other children (7and 3) best, even though theyre loud and active and she pretty much doesn't bother with me. I try to be calm and let her come to me on her own terms but she has no interest. She also ignores my husband but he's ok with that. I've read that Abys can pick a person to bond closely with and I wonder if that might be the 5 year old? I have to admit, I'm pretty sad it isn't me. We lost our 10 year old to CRF in January and I was hoping the kitten would help me heal, but it's making me feel even worse to be pretty much rejected. :(

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens will often pick a small person at first, especially if the child is gentle with them. I guess it just feels more comfortable to have someone closer to you in size! But actually, many cats do not pick one person to be close to - unlike dogs who always look for a pack leader to follow. Cats are more likely to relate and feel comfortable in a particular location - it could even be a certain bedroom. BVut often, if a cat does choose, it will be the person who feeds them!

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
Kittens will often pick a small person at first, especially if the child is gentle with them. I guess it just feels more comfortable to have someone closer to you in size! But actually, many cats do not pick one person to be close to - unlike dogs who always look for a pack leader to follow. Cats are more likely to relate and feel comfortable in a particular location - it could even be a certain bedroom. BVut often, if a cat does choose, it will be the person who feeds them!
yes, the waiter/waitress!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens will choose different persons for different reasons, and often different times of the day.  Sterling loves me in the morning, but he sleeps with Dottie.  Punkin wants to be in the same room with me.  Flambe is just plain independent, and Ella will go to whoever will pay attention to her the way she wants it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to come back to say: she loooooves me!!! :clap: I spent a lazy day reading in bed on Saturday and she curled up next to me for a long time. She's been licking me, head butting me and the ultimate compliment, she's currently sleeping on my lap!

She still loves the kids, but they are so excited about her and don't want to let her be when she sleeps and I guess she's learned that I won't bug her as much.

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats all broke the "person who feeds them" rule. My two older females who I had chose me when I lived at home and my mom was the one who fed them, and then when I moved out they came with me and I adopted 2 kittens with my boyfriend. He fed them, yet again both kittens bonded closer to me. I think cats have strong personalities and chose based off who fits them best, like my dads cat Meshka who is obsessed with him is a very odd 'martian' kitty (we joke he must be a alien, but really he is a Siberian which are very doglike) and my dad himself is very eccentric. My moms cat Ezmerelda is very sensitive and empathetic cat (if you cry or are angry she will come running to fix it) and my mom is again, very much the same. I am drawn to fiesty plucky kittens, who grow up pretty feisty and that fits me! Cats are more like humans than people give them credit for IMHO, so if your kitten chose you be flattered!