When do kittens outgrow foot-grabbing?

marf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

A question about a kitten we rescued, who was separated from his siblings (perhaps too soon). He is outgoing, friendly, and learns very quickly by observing us and the older cats in the house (who don't want to play with him because they're old ladies). He's pretty young but crunches on solid food happily. He is at the foot-grabbing, leg-climbing stage, and we look like we wear red-striped pants... How much longer? When will he outgrow this phase? Is this a matter of weeks, or a matter of months?

Thanks,

Marf

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably pretty soon for the leg-climbing.  As far as the foot-grabbing is concerned, we have some that are close to 10 year old that still like to "mug" us occasionally.

Trimming the claws would be a good first step, by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good idea! Thank you! We'll have our fearless vet do the trimming, though...  :)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I trim the claws of the cats at the shelter, sometimes doing as many as 30 in an hour.  You get pretty good at it pretty quickly.

In the years I've been doing it, I've been bitten just once, and I've only had a few cats that made it absolutely clear they WOULD bite me, if I continued.