When do I know my cats are ready to meet face to face?

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a new cat from someone who couldn’t afford to take care of him anymore. He was neutered and has fully recovered. I’ve been starting slowly. First with smell and sound. It’s been a week or so and Oliver (residential cat) is not puffing up anymore. Still very curious but not puffy. I’ve been letting them see each other and smell through a crack in the door and it seems to be going well. After a few minutes both will lay on their sides and simply stick their paws through the crack. I’m assuming that’s a good sign lol.
How do I know they are ready for the next step and meeting fully and not just through a crack in the door? Oliver will gladly take treats but new cat isn’t much of a treat fan so it’s hard to to try to associate it with good things.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can wedge the door with jambs so its cracked like that for a day or two and there is no sign of hissing or stress, then there probably isn't anymore the introduction can do. However, do keep in mind that face to face is always a higher level of challenge, so no matter what good work you've done before that, you might get a little hissing and stress. As long as thats all you get, you count that as a victory. If its just hissing and stress, they can get past that on their own. The trick is making sure you've done what you reasonably can do to give them the best chance. There is no perfect process that ensures that there will be zero stress when you up the challenge to face to face.

Age and the background of the cats impacts how careful I am. If these are very young cats, you can take a bit more or a risk. If one is a senior cat, best to error on the side of doing a bit more.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like they're doing pretty well, but of course there's no way to know exactly how it will go once they're face to face with no barrier between them. I agree with A ArtNJ that age of both cats would make a difference in how quickly to proceed. And when you do let them meet, make sure you have a piece of cardboard, or something similar to separate them if a tussle occurs.

You've probably already read this, but in case you haven't here's the TCS article on
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! Oliver (resident cat) is 1 years old and Haru (new cat) is 3. Both young but I’ll give it a day or two more and then let them meet without a barrier.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back with an update. My residential cat is NOT okay with being face to face WITHOUT a barrier. With the barrier both smell each other, paw at each other, roll around or walk away. No hissing, no puffy tail, nothing. Thought it was going well so I let them meet and it horrible. Fur was flying and my new cat went running with my cat chasing. I got them separated and took a break for a couple days. They were back to normal with the barrier. They can eat basically right next to each other with the barrier with no problem. Once done they just leave.
Now my residential cat does have a problem with liking to swat the new cat (not aggressively just wanting to play) but my new cat isn’t having it. I treat them next to each other and swap rooms basically everyday. I tried to redirect my resident cat with toy or treat but he just locks his eyes on the new cat if in the same room.
I know it will take time but it makes me quite nervous.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry the sans barrier meeting didn't go well. At least things are back to how they were before, so that's one good thing. Guess it's just going to take longer with the face to face via barrier interactions. Good luck. Keep us updated on how it goes.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s weird cuz the barrier is see through. I have a xxL dog crate that I swap the cats in so they can see, smell each other wnd even touch each other without me having to worry one will go after the other and they are both great with it. But as soon as they are together with in a room without it , my resident cat attacks :(

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely not playing. I heard screaming and my resident cat would be puffy as I separated them. I’m trying to find a super good treat or a toy I can distract my residential cat with while both are in the same room without a barrier. Hopefully with time he will be okay

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, yeah, definitely not playing. :(

Give them more time. And, yes, yummy treats to associate positive things with the other is a good idea. Good luck.