When can I let him out of the bathroom?

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My one kitten I have been trying to get used to my dog. I lock him in the bathroom at night and when I am not home. Last night, was the night I lost my patience. He was in the bathroom screaming...literally screaming and jumping up to the door handle trying to get out. This went on for 5.5 hours straight, I got no sleep and upstairs complained to me today they to got no sleep and hes been doing it when I am not home either. I live in a basement apartment, 1200 square feet. I have the two adults and 5 month old lose and the two kittens locked up. I cannot keep them locked up anymore without getting further complaints from upstairs (which thankfully are family).

Is it okay after 1 week to leave him lose now? I have had a suggestion that I should perhaps rehome him because him screaming like that and jumping at the door handle is the works of a very dominant kitty who is going to run my life and ruin the dynamics here and he is telling me he is boss by screaming for 5.5 hours straight. Please tell me this is not true.....

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I am not scolding you, this is just how I precieve the situation...
It doesn't sound like you have the patience to allow this kitten to be introduced properly. You have only had him for about a week and are wanting to see progress quickly. If you are not willing to give things time then yes, I think it is better to find him a new home that WILL give him appropriate time to adjust. I do, however, suggest you contact the family you got him from FIRST and see if they want him back to find a home (especially since you have only had him for 1 week.)

You have been given a lot of advice on how to properly introduce new animals to each other. It can take days, weeks or months for new animals to get comfortable with each other. And since you already have a dog and 3 other cats it will take time for the youngest to find his place in the pack and gain confidence in your home.

My only other suggestion to you would be to make your bedroom the kitten's safe place instead of the bathroom. This way maybe he will sleep with you at night and not be begging to get out.

Also, is your dog crate trained? I would suggest crating the dog at the times the kitten is out and about the house. This way he doesn't feel threatened by the dog walking/running up behind him. Remember, behavior you see as non-threatening may be scary to such a small young kitten.
Also, if the dog has scared the kitten (even unintentionally) it will take that much longer for the kitten to trust the dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dog has joint problems and I will not crate him, he mostly sleeps on the chair or his bed. They were nose to nose yesterday for a brief second before I told him to go lay down because I didnt want the kitten to suddenly feel scared and scratch his eyes (he already has bad enough eyes). The people I got him from bred Main coons that looked like regular domesticated cats, had over 6 cats, were flea ridden and had 2 litters on the go...his and another litter. I dont think they are a great home. My apartment is open concept, the ONLY place he can be locked away is the bathroom. I am willing to make it work but I cannot live with him screaming in the bathroom at night any longer especially if upstairs can hear it. He isnt as bad with my dog now he only puffs a little with he walks by and only hisses and runs when he startles him (like he quickly runs and skids by him to get to his food bowl).

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If that is the extent of it, then I would not be overly concerned. Does your dog ever chase him/walk quickly toward him or bark at the kitten after their encounters?

What about placing a baby gate at the bathroom door this way the kitten go in and out as he pleased?? They do make pet gates that have an extra small door in them specifically for cats.

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dog does not bark directly at the kitten he may bark if he hears the doorbell or people talking outside. No he does not chase him. There is a gated room where I keep the litter so the dog cannot get to it. They are able to go in there to use the litter and get away from the dog as well as a little hole under a shelf ive made into a kitty fort.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try to introduce them and see how it goes.  Supervising them while together, of course.  Keep a towel handy and use it to "herd" the little one away from the dog if things get too intense.  Also have some toys to distract the kittens. 

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have already introduced they are in the same area together, kitten just goes and hides or plays around but gets spooked when the dog gets up etc. He is a little better ill see if I can get the reaction now on camera and post when i can upload it

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I still think you introduced them too quickly. I think it will just take longer for the kitten to feel comfortable around the dog. If he was scared by the dog, he may always be a little on edge around him. Hopefully this will not be the case.

We had to take a cat back recently that had been placed in a home with a small dog. They had tried to integrate the cat too quickly. While the dog was not being aggressive toward the cat, he had made some play motions toward him and moved quickly around the house. This terrorfied the cat. We tried reintroducing them, but anytime the dog would move or the cat heard the dog's nails on the floor he would bolt to his safe room. The cat just never felt comfortable around the dog.

The difference in our situation was that this was a 2.5 yr old cat that had never been around dogs. Hopefully your little guy will gain some confidence and be able to trust the dog. Just be sure to give him lots of reassurance and praise during this time. I would definitely keep them separated during the day while you are at work.

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have always just kinda thrown my kittens in with my dog and its always worked out great. My other cats take a lot from my dog (he can be dumb sometimes and play with them like he would another dog) and my other cats just sit there. I do end it pretty quick. My dog is pretty gentle at first and if the kitten would just let him give a thorough sniff he wouldnt be so curious haha