When can I brush my cats teeth after she got an extraction?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happened last Friday and I just want to be sure I don't hurt her. They didn't mention if they put in any stitches.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You need to ask the vet if there are stitches and when you can brush her teeth. You said that there is an appointment coming up and you were going to ask questions at that time? Tomorrow?

Make notes of everything that you want to ask the vet and make sure that they provide answers that are satisfactory to you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi can you brush the other/opposite side, will she let you? I'd wait at least another week to do the side the extraction occurred on, and as mentioned double check with the vet :)

How often do you brush her teeth under normal circumstances?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to ask the vet if there are stitches and when you can brush her teeth. You said that there is an appointment coming up and you were going to ask questions at that time? Tomorrow?

Make notes of everything that you want to ask the vet and make sure that they provide answers that are satisfactory to you.
That is a good idea, I will ask that tomorrow. :heartshape:
Hi can you brush the other/opposite side, will she let you? I'd wait at least another week to do the side the extraction occurred on, and as mentioned double check with the vet :)

How often do you brush her teeth under normal circumstances?
Im not sure which side the extraction was on. They told me, but I was so focused on the incision from the mass that I can't remember.

Normally we brush her teeth every single morning. It's the very first thing I do when I wake up. ;) Elsa barely has any teeth left and most of them are stuck below her gums, so I brush daily in the hopes of protecting her teeth. Not sure if its helping. She had a dental less than 4-5 years ago and we had to remove another tooth. :cloudy:Visually they all looked okay but they showed me the xrays and the tooth was almost clear.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She had a dental less than 4-5 years ago and we had to remove another tooth
You might, if you can, consider dental checkups more frequently. (My angel Poppycat had his teeth checked annually).

I'm seeing more companies entering the pet insurance arena with more options than just emergencies, so that might be something to keep an eye out for :)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might, if you can, consider dental checkups more frequently. (My angel Poppycat had his teeth checked annually).

I'm seeing more companies entering the pet insurance arena with more options than just emergencies, so that might be something to keep an eye out for :)
Do you mean putting her under yearly? Or is there another way to check? I dont know if I want to risk doing that so often.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They check visually, if actual cleaning or an extraction is necessary then they utilize anesthesia. There is lighter anesthesia that can be used for older cats' or those with other issues.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They check visually, if actual cleaning or an extraction is necessary then they utilize anesthesia. There is lighter anesthesia that can be used for older cats' or those with other issues.
That's the thing, he has been checking her teeth visually for years. But the tooth issue only showed up from the xray. :sigh: They showed me the photo and it was almost clear. Every since her dental he would make sure to visually look at her teeth during every visit.