When All Else Fails, Try Doing The Panto

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have figured out a trick to get our cat Milly to eat a meal if she is, for some reason, avoiding eating for the time being.

We do the panto.
panto

Like this morning. She was all excited at 5 am to wake us up to get fed her favorite meal. Yet while I prepared it, rather than hang out in the kitchen with me till it was ready, she decided she'd rather go stare out a window. She ignored her favorite food for an hour and a half. She barely sniffed it whenever she walked by. It's like she hated that food's guts.

My husband and I kept saying, "Eat your dinner, Milly! Dinner, dinner!" We tried to hold out, even though we like her to finish her meals within 30-45 minutes.

She ignored us, of course. She is feigning being finicky. Yet we knew she (1) was starving for breakfast, and (2) loved this particular food.
:dunno: :livid: :disappointed:

"Time to do the panto!"​

So, the trick we do to her is to secretly take the food and dish back to the kitchen and pretend we are starting all over again. We pantomine opening the fridge, prepping the food, clinking our spoon against the dish, talking about "dinner" in a chatty way, setting it out (once again and yet- it seems like the first time). The whole pantomine.

She eats it straightaway. :bigeyes:
It was the same food that had been there for an hour and a half.

I'm wondering who really rules the house. :headscratch:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was skeptical, but I tried it tonight, and Lucy are her food immediately. If I leave it out, my other cat will just circle back and scarf it down. He knows I don't want him to, so he waits until I'm not standing guard (I.e. checking TCS while they eat.) But I "panto"ed a fresh bowl for Lucy, and she was magically hungry! Thanks for the tip! I hope it keeps working.