When A Cat Is Hungrier Than Normal...

ScarlettGatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a cat who normally seems content with her given amount of food, but some times seems extra hungry, do you give her extra food on those days?

Taking into account that this cat is not over weight and in good health. I normally give her about 180-200 calories a day (half wet half dry) and she normally still leaves a bit of kibble not eaten. But sometimes it just seems like she's starving! She will devour her breakfast and beg for more. I don't want to get into the habit of giving her food whenever she begs though. I normally give her some treats to tide her over, but she only likes temptations and I don't want to give her many of those. I was thinking of starting to give her an extra wet food mini meal when she's like this. Maybe the Sheba perfect portions, or another brand that comes in small packages that are high protein and low calorie?

What would you do? This probably happens about once a week, last month it was a few days in a row she was extra hungry.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a cat who normally seems content with her given amount of food, but some times seems extra hungry, do you give her extra food on those days?

Taking into account that this cat is not over weight and in good health. I normally give her about 180-200 calories a day (half wet half dry) and she normally still leaves a bit of kibble not eaten. But sometimes it just seems like she's starving! She will devour her breakfast and beg for more. I don't want to get into the habit of giving her food whenever she begs though. I normally give her some treats to tide her over, but she only likes temptations and I don't want to give her many of those. I was thinking of starting to give her an extra wet food mini meal when she's like this. Maybe the Sheba perfect portions, or another brand that comes in small packages that are high protein and low calorie?

What would you do? This probably happens about once a week, last month it was a few days in a row she was extra hungry.
What would I do? I would probably try to move the balance of her food to mostly wet, and only some dry (not half and half), if you need to have dry for her diet per your own decisions. She is already leaving some kibble in her bowl after a meal, maybe take that as a sign? You said she devours her breakfast... is breakfast a canned food? Most dry foods are high in carbohydrates, much higher than wet foods. Sometimes feeding dry food can promote a cycle of high carbs, then a raising of the cat's blood glucose, subsequent feeling hungrier, and so, wanting more food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ScarlettGatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly can't afford an all wet diet. It would at least double the food cost.

I give her 1/4 cup dry food that she normally will (not on an extra hungry day) eat about half of and nibble on it the rest of the day. Then at dinner time she gets wet food.

This normally works just fine except on these days that she's extra hungry.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I honestly can't afford an all wet diet. It would at least double the food cost.

I give her 1/4 cup dry food that she normally will (not on an extra hungry day) eat about half of and nibble on it the rest of the day. Then at dinner time she gets wet food.

This normally works just fine except on these days that she's extra hungry.
How much wet food are you giving at dinner? Maybe splitting her meals up more would help?
I also feed a half wet/half dry diet and I do 1.5-1.8oz (half of a 3oz can or 1/3 of a 5.5oz can) for breakfast and dinner, then 1/4 cup dry before I go to bed so she can eat overnight if desired. Wet food is higher in protein and moisture so it keeps her full longer during the day. (She does still act hungry but only in the hour or so leading up to the next meal, not all day long).

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:redheartpump: All of us have our own reasons for food choices, I completely understand yours!

I think your own idea of a mini wet meal is a good one.

... I was thinking of starting to give her an extra wet food mini meal when she's like this. Maybe the Sheba perfect portions, or another brand that comes in small packages that are high protein and low calorie? ...
Adjusting the amounts of other meals so that you don't go over your calorie limit that you have set for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ScarlettGatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She gets about 3 oz of wet for dinner. Splitting it up is a good idea.

Maybe for breakfast doing 1 1/2 oz wet and leaving out half of her daily dry with that, then doing the same for dinner so she has some dry to snack on at night?

I think I'll try to start doing that and if she still seems extra hungry sometimes I'll give her the mini wet meal.