When a cat is dying...

moonspirit94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plus when I asked my mom since she had a few cats die. She even said that the stuff around his mouth was a sign he was close to death. I just don't know what to do. I don't have money to have him put down...

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus when I asked my mom since she had a few cats die. She even said that the stuff around his mouth was a sign he was close to death. I just don't know what to do. I don't have money to have him put down...
When our cat was dying the same thing was happening. She was 17 and very sick, If the vets really think hes just old there isn"t much you can do. If he's an outdoor cat twelve is a really long life actually. There is likely some underlying problem, but not necessarily one the vets can fix. With our cat we put her into the bathroom of our house and made a comfortable spot for her to rest. We were going to take her to be euthanized, but she died before we could.

@bonepicker  MoonSpirit94 said that they took him to the vet and that they said he was just old. Depending where they live they may not have a way to save this cat.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank god its still open...I'm currently going through a hard time with my 12 year old tabby cat Tigger. He has been a good healthy cat and was an outside cat until a few days ago. He came inside and I then noticed as I got sick there was a death like smell coming from him. Then I noticed he wasn't eating at all but was able to drink two small bowls of milk, then he stopped drinking all together. He has some creamy stuff forming over his mouth. I suppose that means he's close to death. But it hurts to see him struggling to stay alive as if he doesn't want to go because he sees us crying over his future passing and he's gone to hid. I do believe it's his time to go. I don't know anymore.
Until a vet has actually seen him, you don't know for sure. The problem is, if it's been a few days since he got sick, it's likely too late to do anything for poison, which is the thing I would suspect from the symptoms you give. I'm sorry, but I suspect that at this point the best you can do is to make him as comfortable as possible, and your vet may have some suggestions of ways to do that. You might try him on a bit of broth, or some watered down baby food (meat, not vegetables).

For future reference, you shouldn't give milk to cats. Despite common stereotypes, almost all adult cats are lactose intolerant.

Margret

Last edited:

moonspirit94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look....I'd I had the money to take him to get euthanized...I would...but the only place that does that costs $200 just to put him down. I would gladly do that but my father lost his job so right now it's only me and my mom paying bills, getting groceries and food for our dogs and cats. And Tigger is no exception. We have tried to get wet cat food, dry cat food and he just won't eat. My dad just now got a job and gets paid monthly so at the moment we are still having hard times right now. I'm going to see if Tigger is still alive on Monday to use part of my check to put him down.

Do I want him to suffer? No I dont...but right now there's nothing we can do but make him comfortable as possible and leave some food and milk if he'll eat at all.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Look....I'd I had the money to take him to get euthanized...I would...but the only place that does that costs $200 just to put him down. I would gladly do that but my father lost his job so right now it's only me and my mom paying bills, getting groceries and food for our dogs and cats. And Tigger is no exception. We have tried to get wet cat food, dry cat food and he just won't eat. My dad just now got a job and gets paid monthly so at the moment we are still having hard times right now. I'm going to see if Tigger is still alive on Monday to use part of my check to put him down.

Do I want him to suffer? No I dont...but right now there's nothing we can do but make him comfortable as possible and leave some food and milk if he'll eat at all.
If you will have the money on Monday,  perhaps your vet will take a post dated check.  My old vet did.  Not only that, she took payment plans.  Some vets are very good about that, others not so much.  I would like to think that a caring vet would not want your cat to suffer and would agree to terms so as to prevent Tigger from suffering.  My current vet does not take post dated checks or payment plans but he does waive the fees sometimes on office visits so you never know until you ask.  I'm really sorry you're going through this.  It is a very very hard thing.  Sent you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet ownership is not and should not be limited to those who are financially well off. You're doing the best you can with the resources you have available. However, in future it might be a good idea to consider end of life issues in advance and save up so you can do what you need to when the time comes.

For now, margd margd is right. It's time to discuss this with your vet. While you're at it, you may want to ask him or her about subcutaneous water injections (something you can learn to do at home, and which is much less painful than you would think). This could give Tiger some much needed water, as well as helping to rid his body of toxins.

Margret

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:  Remember, keep it respectful-- no 'calling out' of other members in threads, and if you see a post that seems inappropriate, please flag it for moderator review.  

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@MoonSpirit94  I am so sorry for your loss of Tiggy. I understand the pain and heartache you are going through. I also had a cat that got sick all of a sudden and was unable to take him to the vet because of it being a weekend and also financial issues. My heart goes out to you.

I understand your loss and also the financial situation you are in. I have been in your shoes many times. Your Tiggy was lucky to have you to be there with him and love him through his life. You can carry on knowing that you gave him the love and support he needed for his 12 years.

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three year old wanted to be alone so we didn't even know he was sick until it was too late. My 17 year old for the past year would go days in solitude, come for a reminder that we were still there and leave again. Her last two days she just wanted me and cried i. I wasn't there. She cried in pain too, so I think that was the game changer for her.

ikera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 19 years old.

I extremely worried about her. About 4 weeks ago she started to eat less and drink less.
She has decided to permanently live on the balcony. She has stopped coming indoors.
I have taken her to the vets who said it was due to old age and whether I would consider putting her down.I did ask if he could tell if she was in any pain but he said she looked very upset.

I took her home and spoke to family members who all said if she wasn't in pain then not to put her down.
I did phone another vet for a second opinion and it took2weeks for the 1st vet to send over her history.

I have been phoning since to find out why is it taking such a long time for them to contact me and decide whether to take her or not (vet's retiring).

I have noticed she is also grinding her teeth when she eats and sometimes blood comes out. I have mentioned this numerous times to the vet but still no contact been made as to when to bring her in.

I don't know how to make feel more comfortable.I have even placed towels and rugs in her hiding place but then she won't sit on it so I have to remove them.

Can anyone give me more advice?

bfguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl preferred the cold hard tile at the end .Perhaps that's what yours wants too. Regarding food can you try soft food?

Also, try walking in and requesting the records to expedite things.

ikera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ikera is only on soft food. I found it really strange the first time I heard her grinding her teeth while she was eating. I thought at first something hard was in her food but of course nothing was.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
@ikera   I know you've had her records sent over to the second vet already but I think it is time to look at a third vet, if one is available.  The second vet is not responsive and at this time, you need one who is.  Your girl is old, however and 19 is a good long life.  You can comfort yourself that you made that possible.  And it might not be the end.  She might have dental problems and be in pain but not actually getting ready to leave you, although it does sound like it.  That's why you need to get her to a vet as soon as you can. 

s10fex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat who was 15 years old had her since I was 11 and had a very close bond she would follow me everywhere loved being brushed and very verbal whej u had spoke to her as you do. For the past month i had noticed jessy was loosing weight and her health just deteriorated and she hid it very well still carried on doing Wat she needed one sunday morning she woke me I was on my night shift of 4 so I was like a zombie and she woke me as she was breathing oddly I did her pulse n respirations and they were high I was that choked up not preparing myself if she had died there and then I phoned the vets who advised me to take her in they said she was riddled with pneumonia and that the treatment they had to offer would not save her. I agreed for them to put jessy to rest as they did that I spoke to jessy as she was put to sleep. I miss her terribly even though I've had a new kitten my heart is still broken I keep thinking I see her in my house and I am still feeling guilty I will get over jessys death in time but I don't think I completely will

Last edited: