Wheezing After Drinking Water

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first got my cat Gizmo we noticed he was doing what we thought was just coughing up a hairball, but nothing actually came out. (note that he is short haired so I don't think he'd be consuming large amounts of hair). He kept doing this wheeze-cough-like thing at least once a month randomly. Now a few months later he only does this after drinking water. Sometimes he doesn't, but most times he does. We asked the vet who microchipped him what might be the cause of this and she said that his breathing sounds normal and that some cats are just like that. It lasts about 20-30 seconds. Could it be him drinking water too fast, or the way he drinks water, or could it be something I should be worried about? (I tried including a video of him doing it but an error occurred)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that actually do have spells of asthma, and then there is Yue. She does that from time to time after she's been at the water fountain. She has to cough a bit and re-compose herself. I don't know if she was drinking too long or if the water is just really cold. It's usually less than a minute and she's fine. It's not the big powerful coughs the other two get when they are having attacks.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Gizmo also does this, though randomly and not after drinking water like yours. It's been over a month now since the last time. My vet suggested it might be allergies since she didn't hear anything wrong with his breathing either, so I just keep an eye on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that actually do have spells of asthma, and then there is Yue. She does that from time to time after she's been at the water fountain. She has to cough a bit and re-compose herself. I don't know if she was drinking too long or if the water is just really cold. It's usually less than a minute and she's fine. It's not the big powerful coughs the other two get when they are having attacks.
My cat does the same thing. We have been discussing it in this thread:

Hacking/Coughing, but no hairballs

It seems to be fairly normal and harmless. But I would also like to see some explanation or remedy.
My Gizmo also does this, though randomly and not after drinking water like yours. It's been over a month now since the last time. My vet suggested it might be allergies since she didn't hear anything wrong with his breathing either, so I just keep an eye on him.
Thanks for letting me know about that thread, ReallySleepy.
He's his same old self after he stops wheezing and it doesn't seem like it phases him but I guess it's just a human thing to not like to see your pet in what you would usually classify as distress or discomfort at the least. I do make sure to always watch him as it happens though to make sure it's not lasting too long. They're not very violent wheezes/coughs either, so I'm not quite sure what it could be and would like to see an explanation as well..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_8776.jpg
IMG_8775.jpg
IMG_8774.jpg
When we first got my cat Gizmo we noticed he was doing what we thought was just coughing up a hairball, but nothing actually came out. (note that he is short haired so I don't think he'd be consuming large amounts of hair). He kept doing this wheeze-cough-like thing at least once a month randomly. Now a few months later he only does this after drinking water. Sometimes he doesn't, but most times he does. We asked the vet who microchipped him what might be the cause of this and she said that his breathing sounds normal and that some cats are just like that. It lasts about 20-30 seconds. Could it be him drinking water too fast, or the way he drinks water, or could it be something I should be worried about? (I tried including a video of him doing it but an error occurred)
I just came back from reading the "Hacking/Coughing, but no hairball" thread and saw the answer could lie in the position they're in. I took some screenshots from videos I've taken when he was wheezing. I'm hoping someone could tell me if it means anything. The first photo is from a video from some months ago when it would happen randomly, but like I said in my first post he now only wheezes after drinking from his Catit flower fountain. (He is usually sitting up when drinking water then hovers low to the ground with his neck and head extended when he starts wheezing)