Wheatgrass: Smelly Cat Feces

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it this is the right forum.

Hugo has always been on a grainfree diet of wet and dry together (Acana, Sheba and some air dried raw as topper). He has a water fountain that he drinks quite frequently from. Recently (as in two days ago), I have started to give him fresh home grown wheatgrass each day (he was munching on other plants that he shouldn't be on) and it seemed to have affected his feces quite a bit. They don't usually smell this bad but he seems freaked out by it and for the past two days, has been leaping out of the litter box before he is even done with his business and leaving me single piece of feces outside. Is there something wrong or should I stop the wheatgrass? He loves munching on them though.

No issue with the feces - they are all solid and moist rather than dry.

Anyone with this kind of experience?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I haven't noticed anything when I give them wheat grass. I know they use it to vomit and sometimes the grass makes it all the way through digestion still in grass form.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wanting to grow wheatgrass for my cats, but haven't found any store that has the wheat berries in bulk.

What I suspect is that the "raw" wheatgrass would be poorly digested and either cause throw up or stinky poops out the back end.

I may see if there's some way to ferment the wheatgrass a bit so that it would be more similar to the stomach contents of prey animals. Predigestive enzymes perhaps? (Of course that doesn't mean that it would be palatable to the cat after that! :rolleyes:)