What's Your Opinion Regarding Clumping Litter?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also been using Special Kitty clumping litter for quite a while, and the cats are very happy with it. In fact when we tried to switch to WBCL in both boxes, I almost had a riot on my hands. Only one of them was ok with the litter, the other's patience was wearing thin when we started to transition the upstairs litter box. So it was back to their fave clay clumping litter. What kitty wants, kitty gets.

We had better luck with the cats liking Swheat Scoop multicat. However it lasted the same amount of time as Special Kitty while costing a multiple of it.
So we switched back to Special Kitty scoop.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried Sweat Scoop and Wbcl but my Husband hated both so we went back to Yesterdays News. They would stick to the bottom of the pan. I have used Feline Pine also. Its so hard with Coco because so many litters set her Asthma off. The Feline Pine sets it off also.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are allegic to any sort of clay litter....plus, I juts HATE the smell!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a fine clumping clay litter for Nikita.

She's very picky about litter and will go in my bed or on any plastic left lying around if it's not the litter she likes, and she likes the fine grained clumping clay litter.

It's a fairly expensive brand but very low dust and absorbs odor well as well.

but yeah.. as mentioned before in this thread. What kitty wants, kitty gets. When it comes to litter anyway.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle. It has very little dust, negligible, and it clumps well. It's 100% natural (corn based) but does not track little yellow paw prints all over. It's also flushable
and it covers odors pretty decently. It also has a nice pine scent.

I used Swheatscoop for a while, and it worked well, but I did not like that the pee would stick to the bottom. It made it *really* hard to scoop out.

With the Nature's Miracle, I gently shake the litterbox from side to side and front to front to loosen the clumps because my cats always pee against the walls of the box
and that way the clumps don't break apart.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Someone else recommended using the corn-based litter also. Where can you but it?
I had my s/o check to see if they sold it at Wal-Mart (he works there), but he said they don't carry it.
Wal-mart carries a corn based cat littler called Arm & Hammer Essentials. It works great ... we use it with a bit of Feline Pine ( not the pellets ).

we are doing a full change of the boxes today its day 18 and they are just as freah as day one.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Someone else recommended using the corn-based litter also. Where can you but it?
I had my s/o check to see if they sold it at Wal-Mart (he works there), but he said they don't carry it.
arm and hammer s natural one ( it s name and label changed ) is corn based ...

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I switched to The Breeze because I was worried about the dust & Artemis's asthma. I love it!

However, as long as you've got adults that don't eat litter and don't have any other problems with the litter, I think that clumping clay litter still works quite well. There are other options, some of them that even work better for certain people and cats in certain situations, but I still think that clumping clay makes sense as the default litter. Given more time and more published peer-reviewed literature on long term health consequences of all kinds of litter (including asthma and clumping clay), that might change, but I don't think of using clumping clay litter as being generally a bad thing for a cat's health. Generally a bad thing for the environment (which I suspect is also true of The Breeze), yes, but the jury appears to still be out on health.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

I switched to The Breeze because I was worried about the dust & Artemis's asthma. I love it!

However, as long as you've got adults that don't eat litter and don't have any other problems with the litter, I think that clumping clay litter still works quite well. There are other options, some of them that even work better for certain people and cats in certain situations, but I still think that clumping clay makes sense as the default litter. Given more time and more published peer-reviewed literature on long term health consequences of all kinds of litter (including asthma and clumping clay), that might change, but I don't think of using clumping clay litter as being generally a bad thing for a cat's health. Generally a bad thing for the environment (which I suspect is also true of The Breeze), yes, but the jury appears to still be out on health.
I agree. I tried all of the natural litters on the market because of the environment but none of them held up like Dr Elsy's. With 6 cats I need hard clumping, easy scooping and dust free. When I had only Mary I loved Feline Pine. But as I added to the family it did not hold up smell wise.