What's your opinion of laser pointers?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I own a laser pointer, which has always been a resounding success in terms of play encouragement for Willy. But I've always felt weird about using it.

The fact that there is nothing physical to catch, I always had issues with. I always wanted my cat to experience the catch/kill aspect of play.

Cat Dancers and wand toys have always been an excellent substitute. But as he is aging and not having as much stamina, I am trying to exercise him as much as possible. And I'm finding the laser pointer to be one of the best toys that really gets him going.

I've heard of the strategy of placing a toy on the floor somewhere in a corner, and then after having him chase the laser around for a while, stop the laser on the physical toy for him to catch. But he never bought such subterfuge.

I guess I'm wondering if there are other ways to use laser toys to spice up play sessions, so my cat can feel more like a cat when playing with it.

Edit: I also make sure to NEVER point it in his eyes, but is there risk of inadvertent eye damage just by waving it around naturally? That's the other aspect of it that makes me feel uneasy. Even just the red dot on the floor, when I look at it, seems very bright. Even when the laser is not pointed in his eyes, I wonder about how just looking at the dot could affect his eyes.

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m dubious about them for all the reasons you mentioned. I bought one to encourage Daisy to play, and it was a complete dud. She looked at it with mild interest but didn’t budge. (Phoebe, on the other hand, leapt around after the red dot, but she likes chasing shadows, so no surprise there.) Daisy would much rather chase my toes under the bedclothes.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This topic always strikes me as projecting our views of what cats should want onto cats, rather than looking at what is there. I've seen cats chase things they will never catch many times. They seem to enjoy it and not mind at all that the whatever bug or piece of fluff flies out of reach. I recall a nature show with a tiger cub unsuccessfully chasing a butterfly. Its fun, whether they have a realistic shot of catching it or not. Similarly, many cats love the laser pointer and only stop when exhausted.

We have birds that land on our christmas/easter wreaths, and the cats jump at the windows. Another hunt with no actual chance of success. They seem to enjoy it. Same issue, at least as long as they dont hurt themselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This topic always strikes me as projecting our views of what cats should want onto cats, rather than looking at what is there.
That's an interesting perspective. There's always a value in balancing things with cat care, like, say if my cat actually does get a little frustrated by not being able to "catch" the laser dot... he is still getting exercise. Which ultimately benefits him.

And I can always follow up a laser-pointer session with tossing a different toy for him to catch.

I generally keep things in perspective when it comes to cat care. I want Willy to exercise more, to prolong his senior years, so it is probably a good idea to use whatever tools make him actually do that.

Another example is food refusal. I have occasionally used the strategy of "you don't like this food? Well, you get what you get." While also keeping an eye on his health and not going too far without food where it actually becomes dangerous. But a couple of times, just letting him be hungry for a day or two got him used to a food change.

I am still just a little bit concerned about possible effects on the eyes, however.

Last edited:

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For Lunar the laser pointer is her 'kitty crack', she loves it. What I do is take a couple treats and drop one on the floor while she's chasing the dot down the hallway and I'll stop the dot on the treat on the way back. Then repeat. That way (I hope) she's getting the hunt, catch, kill, eat.
I only do it once a day, just before her 2PM meal. Now around 1:30ish she'll start looking for the dot. The rest of the time it's the feathers on a string, although she seems as captivated by the string as the feathers.:lol:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do is take a couple treats and drop one on the floor while she's chasing the dot down the hallway and I'll stop the dot on the treat on the way back. Then repeat.
Involving treats is a good idea! I never thought of that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am still just a little bit concerned about possible effects on the eyes, however.
I have those same concerns, and though I did buy a laser pointer when I first adopted Ruby, I was always nervous using it, so ended up throwing it out, and sticking with balls and catnip filled toys, etc.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie already figured out its useless to try catching it i think she figured it out during her time at petsmart cause she never even showed any interest when i tried to get her playing with one. :lol:she would rather have a toy she can get her paws on

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have those same concerns, and though I did buy a laser pointer when I first adopted Ruby, I was always nervous using it, so ended up throwing it out, and sticking with balls and catnip filled toys, etc.
Yeah. I'm kind of torn right now. He is 10 and I want him to exercise, and the laser pointer riles him up more than anything else.

I use plenty of other interactive toys, so it's not like I haven't tried all the options. I guess maybe the key is just moderation, like all things in life. I could use it sometimes but not always, and that at least reduces risk.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never had a cat that was interested in it, beyond an initial chase. Once they figured out it was just a light, they were over it. And Friday doesn't really like any toy unless he controls the movement of it, because he's quite lazy. :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's an interesting perspective. There's always a value in balancing things with cat care, like, say if my cat actually does get a little frustrated by not being able to "catch" the laser dot... he is still getting exercise. Which ultimately benefits him.

And I can always follow up a laser-pointer session with tossing a different toy for him to catch.

I generally keep things in perspective when it comes to cat care. I want Willy to exercise more, to prolong his senior years, so it is probably a good idea to use whatever tools make him actually do that.

Another example is food refusal. I have occasionally used the strategy of "you don't like this food? Well, you get what you get." While also keeping an eye on his health and not going too far without food where it actually becomes dangerous. But a couple of times, just letting him be hungry for a day or two got him used to a food change.

If not being able to catch the dot is a concern could you reward him with treats when you put the laser toy away?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't really understand how we can say, "laser pointer bad" "Cat TV good" when both are a form of hunting with no catch. At least with the laser pointer, my cat is moving! He's pretty static when bird-watching. Though I believe there is a place for both.

Calcifer loves the laser pointer to the point of chirping for it when he sees it. We had drain flies this winter and he enjoyed chasing those as well...and well even when crushed it's not as if they were truly big enough for him to experience the catch. Just a smoosh under his paw and it's all over and I have a sad cat.

I would never use it on a particularly reflective surface (I keep the light on when it's not on the carpet particularly).

Like everything there's a mild risk. As he ages he could sprain or strain something by exercising as well, but we know exercise benefits him so we continue. Try to mix it up and encourage play with other items too, but don't be fearful to use the laser pointer if it works. We cannot bubble-wrap away from all risk and we shouldn't. Exercise is very important to a cat's health and we need to use what works.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't really understand how we can say, "laser pointer bad" "Cat TV good" when both are a form of hunting with no catch. At least with the laser pointer, my cat is moving! He's pretty static when bird-watching. Though I believe there is a place for both.

Calcifer loves the laser pointer to the point of chirping for it when he sees it. We had drain flies this winter and he enjoyed chasing those as well...and well even when crushed it's not as if they were truly big enough for him to experience the catch. Just a smoosh under his paw and it's all over and I have a sad cat.

I would never use it on a particularly reflective surface (I keep the light on when it's not on the carpet particularly).

Like everything there's a mild risk. As he ages he could sprain or strain something by exercising as well, but we know exercise benefits him so we continue. Try to mix it up and encourage play with other items too, but don't be fearful to use the laser pointer if it works. We cannot bubble-wrap away from all risk and we shouldn't. Exercise is very important to a cat's health and we need to use what works.
Very good point on the Cat TV! I never thought of it that way, but IMO you're right.
My cats, when safely confined outside, will intensely watch birds, rabbits, bugs, etc. The only thing they have access to is the bugs, but they seem to get some kind of mental work out when they bird/bunny watch. I assume all my cats (all older) have varying degrees of arthritis, so we don't play the "run the cat up the wall" game with the laser pointer. I'll move it along big rugs so they can chase it, and I like to take a few old comforters, bunch them up on the floor, and then point the dot in the pile and let them "search" for it, and randomly let it pop back up. They seem to like this game.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Yoshi was a perpetual motion machine the first 8 years of his life. Chasing a flashlight beam for 10min was the only thing that ever wore him out. He never seemed annoyed of upset that he didn't catch anything in the end.

Like most things it depends on the personality of the cat. Do they enjoy chasing the light? Do they care it they catch something at the end?

egofailure

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of us prefer hard/fast rules when it comes to the care of our cats, but the truth is, the answer to most questions is ... it depends. No two cats are alike; thus, what works for one, might not be effective for another.

Generally, just about anything that motivates your cat to move/chase/play, has the potential to be a good thing. If when using the laser pointer, your cat chases, doesn't quickly lose interest, and doesn't appear frustrated ... keep using it! The periodic treats are a great way to minimize the likelihood of frustration, while likely making the play session more enjoyable overall.

I don't use lasers with my Sasha because she loves, loves chasing "worms" from a wand. I rotate multiple worms each session and still go through them like toilet paper! When she catches the worm, she takes it back to one of her "hangout" spots with the most prideful of body language and then likes to "hang" with it for a bit before I start up again. (The only way I can prevent her from whining when I put the toy away is to get her exhausted and then start clicker training after a 5–10-minute rest. Once nice and fed, she's ready to relax for a bit.

Knowing this about her, I don't think she'd enjoy the laser pointer. But it seems to be a great option for others!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back, when I was still in college, during the 1990's, we got a helium-neon laser tube that was salvaged out of an old, industrial photocopier. You had to connect it to a power supply and plug it into the wall. It was powerful enough to be seen from a mile away.

We would wait until it got dark then sat in the window of our third floor apartment and shine it on the sidewalk, across the street. We could attract cats on the street from nearly a block away using that thing!

Our former cat, Spike, used to love chasing the spot all around our loft apartment. He never got tired of it.

If your cat likes chasing a laser pointer, there's no reason you shouldn't play with one. Just be careful with it.