What's your "lawn philosophy"?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs - what constitutes a "cottage" garden? I really don't know anything about "esthetic" gardening....well not much about food gardens either...but I try.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't snowblow the driveway all winter! Just drove on it until it was packed,and shoveled around the door.
Snowblowing after every snow is a must here. If it is a heavy snow and we get quite a few of those in a winter the snow blowing off the roof and garage can easily be a couple feet deep.
Oh we definitely snowblow after almost all snowfalls, otherwise we wouldn't be able to get in or out of the driveway...especially when the plow goes by. I just know a few that painstakingly scrape down so all the pavement is visible at all times....we just don't have that kind of commitment...and we're lazy for that kind of stuff. lol!
We have an area in our driveway that will collect a huge drift from the blowing snow as well...depending on wind conditions, even if it's not a huge dumping of snow, it could be several feet deep.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My version is mixed flowers not a regimented plan, I plant in drifts, and mix types, heights and bloom times. If you suffer from OCD it would drive you crazy! It always looks slightly haphazard, for lack of a better word but not over planned. This is a photo of my garden in front of the house a few years ago. It looks nothing like that now, Mostly bearded iris, sea holly, Siberian iris and peonies now. I will be adding some annuals for bloom interest later.
091_1.jpg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks beautiful!
You know, as someone who has OCD, I will say that I find the more wild natural look pleasing to me. Perhaps it's just distinguishing what my idea of perfection and organization is between mother nature and my work/home environment.
Even a wild garden has symmetry and organization in some way. IDK....if it makes sense in my brain, I won't get all hot an bothered, but if something looks out of place in my brain....then the OCD takes over.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am back in an apartment now so no yard work. When the kids were still at home and big enough to do their share we had the nice lawn. We had lots of flowers and it stayed mowed and trimmed. After the kids left not so much. I kept it mowed so it wasn't unsightly. I still had the perennials but I quit with the annuals. The kids noticed but oh well. I have seen pictures of natural desert landscapes that I thought were pretty. In those areas I would think that is the only thing that makes sense because water is at a premium.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My version is mixed flowers not a regimented plan, I plant in drifts, and mix types, heights and bloom times. If you suffer from OCD it would drive you crazy! It always looks slightly haphazard, for lack of a better word but not over planned. This is a photo of my garden in front of the house a few years ago. It looks nothing like that now, Mostly bearded iris, sea holly, Siberian iris and peonies now. I will be adding some annuals for bloom interest later.
View attachment 381594
That is a beautiful arrangement of flowers!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
View attachment 381594
Really beautiful. :redheartpump:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen pictures of natural desert landscapes that I thought were pretty. In those areas I would think that is the only thing that makes sense because water is at a premium.
My friends parents moved to Phoenix and they seem to be loving the desertscaping aroung their house. She LOVES decorating the yard for Halloween/Christmas/etc and she can still do that. But in general its a lot less work. She used to have to hire someone in the spring to help get all her gardens and landscaping in order. Now they only have some roses around their backyard pool. It looks nice and much simpler! Especially since she’s been using a cane the last few years.

The grass over our new septic tank isn’t growing well. We think the soil is just too shallow to hold enough moisture and not get over heated. DH said we should turn it into a little mini-golf hole. The access points to the tank can be the obstacles. :flail: