What's Your Favorite Movie Genre?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

I really like Fantasy! I really like pretty much ALL genres, that's why I was a film major.
But since I had to pick one I went for Comedy.

I wonder what really qualifies under fantasy lately though... OBVIOUSLY the LoTR trilogy, but what about all the comic-based movies? X-Men and Spiderman... Are they action/thrillers? Fantasy?

Sorry, school stuff popping up again.
*Has flashbacks to 2-hour discussions trying to defined 'national cinema'*
Although it's shaky, I would call those particular ones Science Fiction. I'd pretty much call all the "superhero" genre flix Science Fiction, mostly because of the trappings I s'pose. Like the hardware in the Batman flix, the "otherworldly" origins of Superman, or the genetic mutations of the X-Men. SOMEwhere in there is a factual element. Obviously as you pointed out LoTR is fantasy, likewise Harry Potter and a couple of my all time faves The Princess Bride and LadyHawke (a little known 1980's era movie with Rutger Hauer.) I also believe that you could put things like Pirates of the Caribbean in that category. I s'pose some folks would categorize it as light horror (i.e. a ghost story complete with walking skeletons) but to me it's fantasy. But you always get crossover stuff. What is Alien? Horror? Science Fiction? Thriller? It's really all of them. I guess there will always be movies (and literature for that matter) that are hard if not impossible to categorize.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
How about documentary. I know that makes me sound stiff and boring--sobeit! LOL. But I love docs. I guess I live in an area where docs are plentiful, so I can take advantage of them. Have not seen too many this year, but "March of the Penguins" was great! After docs, my pick is drama.