What’s Wrong With My Cat?! :’(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brianna23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just picked up my beautiful angel.

Unfortunately I received the worst possible news. My vet was able to get a sample of the fluid because she has more of it today. Fluid is yellow and stringy. Bringing us to the conclusion that this is FIP.

My heart has been ripped out of my chest. My biggest fear has been realized. And now I have to prepare to say goodbye.

Jelly1995

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just picked up my beautiful angel.

Unfortunately I received the worst possible news. My vet was able to get a sample of the fluid because she has more of it today. Fluid is yellow and stringy. Bringing us to the conclusion that this is FIP.

My heart has been ripped out of my chest. My biggest fear has been realized. And now I have to prepare to say goodbye.
I am so sorry to hear about your baby. My thoughts are truly with you both and my heart aches for you both. Just know you are an absolute hero for the amazing life you have your baby following the rescue. I truly applaud your dedication to your little angel and when the time comes, it will be painless and peaceful.

I pray for you to have strength throughout this horrible ordeal and really wish it was better news, you have done absolutely everything you could have for your fur baby.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read your PM to me and just read through this thread.
This is only my personal opinion but I highly doubt it is fip or cancer for that matter.
The fact of her falling and when this all started, the pink fluid initially, lack of fever early on that does not respond to antibiotics, and her blood results, then reading about the inflammation (peritonitis) that struck a bell with me.
This will happen from injury to the abdominal cavity or hollow organs or blunt force trauma like if a cat were kicked hard.
Peritonitis will cause the tummy to fill with fluid/pus.

Based on it being this, supportive care is critical for her survival and time allowed to heal on it's own basically.
But she will not eat or drink enough if at all until the pain is gone or at least way down from what she feels now.

If this were my cat I would consider a feeding tube, as it may be a while before she eats on her own, unless you are sure to get her needed food and fluids in to her daily.
She needs low activity, quiet and comfortable space where her brain can focus on healing her body.
When there are other pets, kids or activity going on around her, the brain is occupied with processing the sounds and sights, so removing this around her is very helpful in her healing process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brianna23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read your PM to me and just read through this thread.
This is only my personal opinion but I highly doubt it is fip or cancer for that matter.
The fact of her falling and when this all started, the pink fluid initially, lack of fever early on that does not respond to antibiotics, and her blood results, then reading about the inflammation (peritonitis) that struck a bell with me.
This will happen from injury to the abdominal cavity or hollow organs or blunt force trauma like if a cat were kicked hard.
Peritonitis will cause the tummy to fill with fluid/pus.

Based on it being this, supportive care is critical for her survival and time allowed to heal on it's own basically.
But she will not eat or drink enough if at all until the pain is gone or at least way down from what she feels now.

If this were my cat I would consider a feeding tube, as it may be a while before she eats on her own, unless you are sure to get her needed food and fluids in to her daily.
She needs low activity, quiet and comfortable space where her brain can focus on healing her body.
When there are other pets, kids or activity going on around her, the brain is occupied with processing the sounds and sights, so removing this around her is very helpful in her healing process.
I made the difficult decision to put her down this morning. She was extremely uncomfortable all night. This morning she seemed even worse. I could tell the fluid was increasing. She also began to wheeze this morning, so I figured fluid was beginning to build up in her chest. I couldn’t watch her suffering anymore.

Out of desperation last night I tried to reach out to anyone, but soon realized I was being selfish. I knew she had been looking worse since bringing her back from the vet that evening.

I may never 100% be sure this was FIP, but I was 100% sure I was done putting her through all this. 6 days of being poked and prodded, I couldn’t let it continue anymore.

I am beyond heartbroken.

Thank you for reaching out.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO sorry and saddened for your loss....
The bottom line is, no matter what the cause, she was suffering and you chose to put her first, our final show of appreciation for years of happiness, smiles, cuddles and comfort given to us.
I know how hard this was for you, my heart still aches for my girl. I would have sold my soul to avoid having to put her to rest. Really.
Hugs.

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking for you. I am so so sorry you lost your baby. You did absolutely everything you could, and please know in your heart that your cat knew that, too. You are the best pet parent she could have had and just reading your care and love in this thread; I know she had a happy and comfortable life.