Whats wrong with cat teeth?

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone I am just curious if anyone has some insight for my kitty.

He has been off for over a week. Hes a very active playful naughty cat and he has just been super sleepy.

So I took him to the vet. They told me he has mild Gingivitis and that could be causing this. They took blood work and found 2 very mild things. 1. That hes anemic but barley they said just below the norm. 2. His kidney function was also just below normal. So I left with antibiotics Clindamycin and some pain medication and was told to get a teeth cleaning done. I found a vet that will do the teeth cleaning and they are also going to rerun the blood before they do. Since the coronavirus is going on (I live in NY) they said they could do it all in one day and would not do the surgery if they felt it was something else wrong with him. So I feel good about that.

The only problem is this isn't till Monday and he isnt great right now. He is eating and going to the bathroom. It's good I am home bc I can watch what he is doing. But he is not himself at all and it really is upsetting me. I also noticed today after I give him the antibiotic he doesnt want to eat even treats. This is just tonight but its making me super concerned.

Does anyone have experience with this antibiotic. Can mild gingivitis change a cats whole personality? Is there anything I can do to comfort him till Monday if it is just his teeth. Does this sound like it could be something more serious.

I'm going a bit crazy wish it was tomorrow I had the appointment. Any help would be appreciated.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think that "mild" gingivitis would create such a drastic change. Maybe there is something more going on?
Painful teeth can cause animals to behave differently, but if there is that much pain, I wouldn't call it "mild'.
If he actually has a condition called FORL (Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions), that can indeed be very painful, and if left untreated can require tooth removal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks furmonster... yeah that's what's concerning me that could this really just be his teeth. I am hoping it is bc that is treatable.

I really wish the appointment was sooner. I might call around see if I can get him in somewhere faster. It's a bit of a problem with the virus right bow.

They did give me pain medication but its really hard to give it to him....he thrashes and scratches. I am doing the towel wrap for his antibiotic but its tough. The pain medication I'm trying to disguise in treats but he caught on.

I'm frustrated. Want my happy little guy back.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he goes under for the dental, they will look for resorptive lesions. Hopefully they will do dental xrays too. He probably is feeling under the weather because of everything going on. The antibiotics can make him feel off too. I get stomach aches when I take them. I think a few days of antibiotics is good to get on board before the dental cleaning. Mon is not that far away. I was thinking it is good they can get you in so soon.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Jen

Thank you. I'll keep holding out. He slept last night. Is up now wanted to drink from the fauchet bathroom sink. I let him. He ate a little of soft food and a few treats. I guess in my mind as long as he keeps eating and drinking water that its good.

I don't want him to suffer but yes Monday is close. And yes they will be doing xrays. It seems like a super good place so I could try to call around get it done sooner but I want a reputable hospital doing this procedure and the pre exam. Hoping they don't start to cancel appointments due to the coronavirus. I hear there might be a shelter in place law passed. I googled this and it looks like with this law you can still take your cat to the vet.

Of course this would happen during the apocalypse! Haha

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely get him to drink as much as he wants. I am giving an antibiotic right now to a feral with an abscess, and he has taken it every time mixed in one of those Delectables Lickable Cat treats in the tuna and chicken or tuna and whitefish STEW. That seems to be the one they can't resist and would be something easier for your little one to lap up and eat. You might want to get some.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will have to try this treat! Thank you di and Bob! Today he was much easier to handle for the medication. Hes still the same today. He seems to perk up in the mornings a bit. He ate pretty good almost a whole can plus some hard food and treats. Went to the bathroom. Still not his normal self but he did look out the window a bit and walked around and checked a few things out.His brother tries to play with him but hes just not interested.

I think the medicine upsets his stomach. I just gave it to him and hes doing this low crouch that hes been doing and looks like he doesnt feel great.

Counting down till he can make it to the Dr again.