What's With This Cat's Behavior?

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I help the little guy out whenever with food and shelter(can't adopt him because my current cat and that cat seems to hate eachother) but he seems to do one thing consistently, hisses a lot at me. He also makes low growling sounds but it's clear as day to me that he doesn't want to harm me. Not sure what's going on with him though but he's been around for a while.

Here's a video showing some of his behavior -

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He wants your attention (probably most driven by food, but not entirely), so the hisses are nothing more than "I am independent, so don't overstep your boundaries". There is nothing about his demeanor that suggests he is opposed to your interaction with him. But, he does know there is another cat, and this is an issue to a degree. He also is reacting a bit your cat's smell when you touch him. That growling to me, given the rest of his behavior, doesn't mean much - you just have to take it slow. He is very receptive to you, based on that video.

You have a cat that, IMO, could be eventually 'convinced' that your home is his home.

Last edited:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you don't know his prior experience with humans. I think both Furballsmom & FeebysOwner are correct. You are well on the way to adopting your second cat!

When he is more tolerant of you, it maybe be time to t are him to the vet for vaccinations & testing, plus deworming. If he is in good shape bring him home and put him in isolation in the bathroom, or a lighted closet. Then you can read the TCS articles about introducing cats!

Keep us updated! And thank you for taking care of this guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone! I actually left the door open today and found that the cat was a few steps into my apartment building and went back outside when he noticed I was bringing food.

He got into a fight with my cat again though today unfortunately(most of their encounters just involves low growling and hissing rather than a fight). I really do hope somehow the two can get along. Though I didn't plan on getting two cats, I don't want to leave him out there once Winter comes around. Seen him around usually late nights and early morning for quite a while now. Oddly enough, it was just one random day he decided to walk up my stairs and decided I was okay to be around with despite not ever receiving food from me before all of that.

Hopefully I can help get him adopted at some point this year in case that the two cats refuse to accept each other.

*Edit*
Managed to get this little guy adopted earlier this year so hope everything turns out alright. In truth though I wanted him since we bonded a bit after I washed him off(he was covered in his own urine) but someone had already adopted him when I brought him to the SPCA(unfortunately it was a bad time when I found him since it was a busy week). I still miss him and hish him nothing but the best, found out that they named him Freckles.

Last edited: