What's The Oldest A Cat Can Have A Growth Spurt?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've seen and heard various things from vets and on the internet. I do know that many cats continue to grow through 1.5 years and that big breeds grow for even longer.

But growth spurts? I'm having a hard time finding information.

Ares has put on more than half a pound in just a couple weeks, and he seems hungrier than usual. He's now 13 pounds at 9 months. And definitely not overweight! He's quite muscular, not a squishy boy.

IMG_20190113_153307.jpg
IMG_20190120_111758.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Wish I could help. How is it that you know he has gained 1/2 pound in a couple of weeks? (Lol) Two vet visits? How does his size compare to his paw size? I have heard that is an indicator of whether or not they have reached their proper weight for what they might expect to be when reaching adulthood. If he is going to be one of those 'mean, lean, robust' cats, at 9 months he might have a way to go.

Hopefully, other members will see your post soon and offer much more constructive, first hand information.

P.S. If the tail size meant anything (yeah, it really doesn't) he does have a way to go before full growth!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How is it that you know he has gained 1/2 pound in a couple of weeks? (Lol) Two vet visits?
We have a scale in the bathroom, and he likes to sit on it while I brush my teeth. Very convenient!

His paws are a bit big for him still, so I do believe he has some growing to do yet, but I've also had no experience with kittens before this. My other cat adopted me when she was 3-5 years old already.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, the youngest cat I ever had was around 6 months. But, tbh, that was long enough ago that I have absolutely NO IDEA when she stopped growing, other than to say she was at least a year old.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket is a tiny 7.5 pound girl and she didn't stop growing until she was 18 months. Nothing drastic after about a year but she filled out and gained a tiny bit of height.

Link is 14.5 pounds and he didn't really stop growing until close to two year. His growth spurt though stopped around 18 months. Those last six months we're more filling out and a little slow growth.

Every cat is different. Shoot, even humans are different. I had a mini growth spurt and grew a final inch when I was In my early twenties.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats grow at different rates. You'll just have to wait and see! As a rule of thumb, however, 9 months is still young; most cats keep growing for a while after that, so I would expect Ares to be somewhat bigger at maturity than he is now. Some cats are mostly mature by one year of age, while others keep getting taller and longer until they are 18 months or so, and then continue to fill out and get broader for the next couple of years... it really depends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats grow at different rates. You'll just have to wait and see! As a rule of thumb, however, 9 months is still young; most cats keep growing for a while after that, so I would expect Ares to be somewhat bigger at maturity than he is now. Some cats are mostly mature by one year of age, while others keep getting taller and longer until they are 18 months or so, and then continue to fill out and get broader for the next couple of years... it really depends.
Yeah, I just recently had a vet tell me that most cats are done growing between 6 and 8 months, and I knew that was super wrong...

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought paw size was an indicator of how big a kitten would be when they grew up. Sam blew that theory out of the water. He will be 3 in a few months and his paws are huge. Way out of proportion for the rest of him. So I guess some kitties just have big feet!

I'm now wondering if head size can be an indicator. When Buddy was 6 months he was still shorter and smaller that the adults, but his head was about the same size as theirs. At 9 months his body is the same size as the adults but his head is larger than everbody (except Keith who is a humongous cat). I'm very curious about how big Buddy will get, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. Whatever size he lands on I'm still gonna love him like crazy!
:catlove:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued a starvling when she was about 2. She was thrilled to eat regularly and began growing. She continued to grow until she was 3. She wasn't an unusual size, just making up for lost time. She topped out at 11 pounds.