what's the longest you feel comfy leaving your cat alone?

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not really feel comfortable but we do leave boys when we have weekend gigs that run from Friday after work till Sunday night. I built up to it slowly, and now that it looks like boys are handling it OK I do it when we don't have our regular pet sitter available to check on them. I leave plenty of food and back up food/water, and set up several extra litter boxes. We also secure the house extra carefully (lock out most rooms, so no trapping opportunities etc).

I hate doing it because from experience I know how much better boys fare afterwards when we have had their 'nanny-uncle' stop by to play with them in addition to just making sure they are fed. Luckily our sitter is mostly available but I'd love to have a back up as good as he is. I don't think I would have the heart to do it if I had a single kitty - not at least with boys like mine because they are such wimps.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The longest I've left my 2 cats alone was Monday morning to Wednesday night...so, 3 days? It was when I took the bar exam. I left 6 days worth of dry food (perhaps that was too much, though there was a tiny bit left when I got home
), and three huge pyrex bowls filled with water. I fed them wet food before I left on Monday and when I got home late Wednesday night. I filled their litter box with a lot of fresh litter and added a 2nd box. They were fine, but definitely happy to have people back and their routine back to normal.

Any longer than 4 days and I would want a pet sitter to stop by I think.

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we had 3 cats, we could leave them alone for 4-6 days with no problem. We have a 10 pound food dispenser (dry food), a 1 gallon water dispenser, and a Litter Robot. Now, however, we have 5 cats and the Litter Robot needs to be changed at the longest every 3 days. We're going out of town for about 6 days around Thanksgiving and we'll have to have someone come in just to change the Litter Robot bag (and check on the mom and her kittens, even though they'll be 6 weeks old by then).

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have left them for 2 nights on occasion before, but I also have a neighbour who checks on them - even if she doesn't feed them etc. Any longer than that and I get a sitter to do the litterboxes etc