What's The Best Wet Cat Food Brand For A Fussy Eater

Michelle85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I have 2 female cats, a year old each. Both of them were goof eaters in my home country. We recently moved to Canada and ever since, they have almost stopped eating wet food. They wait for me to serve dry food.

I have tried fancy feast, hills, weruva, wellness brands and fancy feast is the brand they can barely eat. I have even tried feeding them cooked fish and chicken but no positive results.

These two babies had sensitive tummies as kittens and so our vet had suggested not to feed them raw meat.

I am in a fix. I do not knwo what to feed them. The vet in our home country also suggested against feeding the cats more dry food as it can cause health issues when they are old.

Would love to hear from other fussy eating furry friend's parents.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really just depends on the cat. Have you tried different ways of serving it and different textures of food instead of just different brands? Some cats like the Pate type foods while others like shredded food in gravy. Some like it warmed up. Some like it soupy like if you add water to it.
You can also try adding a little bit of their dry food on top of the wet food to entice them to eat the wet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats weren't picky until they got to be about 2 years old, then they only wanted Shredded wet food. They like Friskies Shreds, but I don't think they have that in Canada. But you should be able to find something shredded.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re in Canada? Do u have a petvalu near you? Their perfomitrin (sp?) brand has canned stews that my cats absolutely love. It’s their favorite. They also prefer that brands kibble as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Michelle85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really just depends on the cat. Have you tried different ways of serving it and different textures of food instead of just different brands? Some cats like the Pate type foods while others like shredded food in gravy. Some like it warmed up. Some like it soupy like if you add water to it.
You can also try adding a little bit of their dry food on top of the wet food to entice them to eat the wet.

I have tried different textures and they like grilled or shreddeed more than pate. But most brands have pates only

Michelle85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats weren't picky until they got to be about 2 years old, then they only wanted Shredded wet food. They like Friskies Shreds, but I don't think they have that in Canada. But you should be able to find something shredded.
I am trying to find something good that also works in my budget. Some grain free food are just too expensive.

And for some reason our vet asked us not to go with friskies brand :(

Michelle85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You’re in Canada? Do u have a petvalu near you? Their perfomitrin (sp?) brand has canned stews that my cats absolutely love. It’s their favorite. They also prefer that brands kibble as well.
Thank you so much for the info. I checked and there is a store closeby. Also they have some offer going on. Will get it. Hopefully they like it. Fingers crossed

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet probably meant to avoid the Friskies dry food. I hope you can find something shredded, I don't know why cats love it, but they do.

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
For ordering different types of foods in Canada, I would recommend using Homes Alive Pets. Their website is: Pet Supplies Canada | Shop Pet Products at Homesalive.ca
I'm not affiliated with them, I've just had a good experience. This way you can order a bunch of single cans to try out. They also subsidize their shipping, so you can order more and generally wind up paying less for shipping.

I've had to deal with picky and fussy cats. My best advice is to keep trying. My most picky and fussy cat now happily eats whatever I give her (unless she really dislikes the taste - but it's never about texture now). Once you find something they're willing to try don't stop on that product. Keep branching out. Once they're willing to try something new you'll have an easier time getting them to agree to eat different things!

Some of the wet food available for order on Homes Alive that I have personal experience with:
Almo Nature. Fantastic choice and not pate. A bit overpriced for what it is IMO and not a complete meal in most cases. Just a healthy treat. IE it's generally literally just a bit of shredded chicken in water. I like the chicken and pumpkin to give my cat a bit of fibre every now and then.
BLUE Wilderness - is pate but you can pat it down and break it apart with a fork. Generally falls apart better than other pates.
Feline Natural - my absolute favourite right now and has a straight A+ track record with all the cats I've given samples to. It is pate, but if you feed it in a shallow bowl I think your kitten will lap up the water and give the pate a try as a result. Just ordered my cat two cases of this of the chicken and venison because they were out of chicken and lamb; don't know when they restock.
They also have Taste of the Wild but I don't have experience with the two flavours they offer. When I tried a can a few years ago it didn't go over well so I haven't tried them again. Many like it though.
Wellness is also a pate but went over better than the Taste of the Wild did. You said you already tried it.

I think all the canned options the site has are good, so my recommendation is try out a few you think your cat might try that aren't pate. They should all have product photos. I do recommend trying one of the Feline Natural tins though even if it is pate.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls are kind of picky and they didn't like Blue Wilderness, but they eat Nature's Variety Instinct.